Thinking about buy Volvo S40

I am think a about buying a 2004/5 Volvo S40 2.5T. I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on it... good, bad, or indifferent.

Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
jdbugman

Hi,

I have the new V50 2.0D Elite version. I drove now about 4000 km, in 3 weeks time, most of them at the highway.

Until today no bad experience, very good enigne, quality of used material inside is much better then the older S/V40. It's the first Volvo based on the new Ford Platform, (which is also used by the news Focus C-Max). Stability on the road on high speeds is really great !

It's my first Volvo after buying Ford, Toyota, Audi and BMW. My next will be again a Volvo

Reply to
Acer

2004 and before models are Volvo. 2005 is a reworked Mazda, which can be had from Mazda for a lot less money.
Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

This is not the case in Europe where the build the S40/V50, they are builded from scratch and don't have any part of Mazda. !! The only have the new Ford Motor Company platform, which is identical to Focus C-Max, and a new coming Jaguar. The engine is builded by Ford and PSA Group.

Some pictures of the European version of the V50

Acer

He means that the new Mazda 3 is also built on the same platform... It is, the platform is the same for NA and European versions.

Not sure if you can get the Mazda 3 (new Protege) in Europe, but it uses this small Volvo's platform.

Engine built by Ford and PSA group? It looks to be most definately a Volvo unit - 5 cylinder turbo... come on, who else does that (aside from Audi

Reply to
Rob Guenther

It's real the Engine is build by a new company setup by Ford Motor Company and PSA. The certificated of the engine is real clear in this.

I'm speaking about the new 2.0D engine with 136 PK and 6 gears.

Reply to
Acer

Reply to
Rob Guenther

2004 and before could be considered reworked Mitsubishi. I wouldn't call the 2005 s40 a reworked Mazda. It is a joint platform with Ford and Mazda. Ford and Mazda don't use 4 strengths of steel in their structure or the side beams used in Volvos doors. The new s40 uses a 5 cylinder engine based on the one in the s60 and v70. It's tuned like a Volvo, I drove one. Interior doesn't thrill me but its Volvo, there's no sign of other cars within.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Smith

Save your money and buy a Mazda 3, if you can get one where you live. The Ford Focus, Mazda 3 and the new Volvo S40, share the same platform. As one reviewer on TV said, is it worth spending +$10K for a rebadged Mazda?

Make sure to stay clear from the previous S40. Which shared platform with the Mitsubishi Charisma.

IMO, both cars, the new and the old, are NOT worth what you pay for. Do a Google search on "volvo s40 problem".

Nowadays, the new Volvos are the best car to buy if you enjoy frequent trips to the dealer (like, at least >I am think a about buying a 2004/5 Volvo S40 2.5T. I was just wondering if

Reply to
Sammy

Old S40 was quite cheap (less than 20,000 euro) and many people was happy with them. I also I'm really happy, and still without problems nor repair works (5 years, 80000 km)

Bye

Jorge Luis

Reply to
Jorge Luis

I drove S40 in the wet for a while on test, normally I drive a turbo 740 .It the S40 was a stable nice car very controlled good traction control excellent cruise control absolutely spot on accurate, electronic accelerator was interesting a it was brand new it had a slight lag at a quick start .Rear view was poor through back window , but excellent mirrors which set up perfectly every time the set was moved to the correct line of sight.Electric seats control and memory was very handy .Gear box was a delight very nice indeed . Brakes, Volvo brakes wonderful handling good steering very good turning circle amazing for a fwd car in fact I was surprised ,over all very safe goes well and the turbo would be a wise choice 125 kw vs 165kw 40 extra stallions a good buy .ONLY problem is what colour or color as the yanks say ?

Reply to
John Robertson