tyre choice for V70

Hi guys - great group, I've been lurking for a while. I'm a new Volvo driver with a 2003 2.4 V70. I'm up to almost 17,000 miles now, but having done 5000 miles in the last 5 weeks my front tyres are shot.

Anyone have any opinions on the best fitment? My main criticism of the V70 is that it has quite a lot of road noise on the Pirelli P6000

- can anyone recommend anything quieter? My main aim is comfort and reasonable wear rate than ultimate handling or performance.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Yes the P6000's are alittle noisy (I have them on my Focus, and S70) but they're a hardish compound so wear well. You can't have good wear and quietness. I had some Mich Premacy's previously on the Focus- they did ~3000miles less distance, and were very slightly quieter.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

You should rotate your tires every 5,000 miles. Since your front tires are the primary tires for braking and cornering, it is important to have your best tires in front. It also extends tire life.

I have an '01 V70 XC and the AWD does help with tire mileage. Also, the V70 has Pirelli Scorpion S/T's which I think are fantastic all season tires. They probably aren't availabe for your wheels. I believe they only come in 215/65R16.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

This is not quite correct. Yes you should rotate your tyres but the best tyres should always be on the rear. The reason for this is that you don't want the rear end losing traction before the front as it is invariably much harder to control oversteer than understeer.

HTH

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cunningham

That sounds noble in principle but is infact absurd in practice. First, anti-lock braking systems eliminate this problem. Second, by rotating the tires putting the most worn in the front, they wear evenly both front and rear and there is no difference in stopping ability. This is safe. If you don't rotate or just leave the most worn on the front, then the front will become thread-bare before the rear gets the beads worn off and it will be very unsafe. It is safest to keep the tires matched in brand, tread, size, and wear.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Well I'd be very grateful if you could tell me how ABS prevents the rear end sliding sideways. I'm not talking about the rear wheels locking up under braking I'm talking about the back end stepping out in a corner.

I'm not sure you read my post properly. I did in fact say that it is essential to rotate the tyres. By keeping an eye on things it is possible to rotate the tyres so that the "best" are always on the back.

HTH

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cunningham

Me again! I didn't ask you this last time, but what has nobility got to do with it?

Anyway, to lend additional weight to my argument please read the following from Michelins homepage:

Virtually every tyre manufacturer (well the 6 or so I decided to check) gives identical advice.

So to the OP, fit your new tyres to the rear of your vehicle safe in the knowledge that unlike Mr. Henning you will not be backing it into the nearest ditch.

HTH

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cunningham

Actually this is impossible since the front tires wear MUCH faster than the rear tires. You can never rotate the best tires to the back because the rear tires will always be the best tires until you buy new tires to replace the worn out front tires.

The only cars where front tires don't wear faster than rear tires are dragsters and similar high powered cars that drive in a straight line and accelerate rapidly.

Any time in an ordinary car, when you maintain a rotation schedule on matched tires and rotate tires you are moving the most worn tires to the back and the best tires to the front. It is impossible to do othewise since front tires wear fastest.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Reply to
Rob Guenther

The discussion was not about tires which were different. It was about rotating matched tires. The purpose of rotating is to keep the tires matched. However, the front tires wear fastest on everything except drag racers. Hence, when rotating tires, one is always, yes always, rotating the most worn tires to the rear. I don't know of a single tire company that doesn't recommend rotating tires. Hence, this is a very acceptable and highly recommended practice.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

I'm afraid I don't agree with your statement that one is necessarily rotating the most worn tyres to the rear. When I bought my new tyres this weekend, I could have rotated them by putting the new ones on the rear and moving the part worn ones from the rear to the front. It would actually have made sense to do so - I too would prefer the best / least worn tyres at the rear.

When I got the Volvo I did have a play with it - putting it too fast into corners and generally provoking it by lifting off mid-corner, braking through bends etc. The DSTC is rather better than I expected it to be. The laws of physics still apply though.

I've had a number of quite powerful rear drive cars (Nissan 200SX, Jaguar XJR for two) and both wore the rear tyres much faster than the fronts (about 10k and 8k miles per pair respectively). The V70 has worn it's fronts almost to the wear indicators in 17K, but there is about 1/3 tread left on rears. I don't rotate the tyres simply because my mileage is so high that I tend to be at the tyre fitter every 3-6 months.

My tyre fitter (who has fitted almost every tyre I've bought in the last ten years) recommended Michelin Pilot Sports. Before looking at the car he told me that the Pirelli P6000 would have uneven wear from block to block. With the car on the ramps we looked at the rears and sure enough there is a very pronounced (1mm or so) castellation effect between each tread block. In actual fact the blocks are wearing on a slope. The cause is that the Pirelli carcass allows the steel cross bands to move slightly, giving a twist. If it gets much worse I'll be junking the tyres before they are much more worn.

I'll just add that my tyre fitter is 'owned' by Michelin (and definitely promotes Michelin) but he did tell me about the problem with my tyres before he saw the car.

I'd say the Michelin's are perhaps a tad quieter. There's been no serious rain yet so I can't comment on wet performance, but there are three very substantial grooves which should make them work well.

Looks like being a good month for my tyre fitter - a set of four for the Passat and two for the V70 this weekend. Turns out my wife needs a pair on the front of her A-Class and I'll be back for V70 rears pretty soon too!

Thanks for your comments guys.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs