V40 older average miler or newer high miler

I am looking at two V40s and would appreciate some advice to help me make a final decision.

The choice is between:

1) 1999 V40 2 litre (basic model) with below average miles for the year plus service history 2) 2001 V40 1.8 GDI SE (a few extras) with high miles (90,000) plus service history

In terms of drive, look, feel, they are both fine. My main concerns are over:

1) Advantages/disadvantages of buying a newer high miler over an older car with average miles 2) Economy: I average 7000 a year, mostly urban, so I know my fuel bills are not going to go down! Does the 1.8 GDI offer noticeable savings over the older 2.0 engine? 3) 1.8 GDI engine. Have read a few negative postings about this particular engine - is this one to avoid?

Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks

Reply to
anyMouse

Yes, avoid the 1.8 GDI, especially if you dont do a goodish mileage at high average speed. These engines coke up very quickly and give no end of problems if driven sedately over short distances.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks Tim - took the 1.8 GDI for a run yesterday. It was quite tired, worn and sounded like a diesel! I'm pretty set on the older, but well looked after T reg 2.0; hope I won't be disappointed.

Reply to
anyMouse