V50 vs. V70 wagon

AFAICT the main difference aside from cargo capacity is gas mileage ratings - the V70 is rated for 20mpg city versus 22mpg for the V50. I'm leaning toward the V50 for a variety of reasons but some members of the household think that SIZE MATTERS *g*

Comments appreciated, esp regarding long-term mechanical issues either model might experience more frequently than the other. Because really, long-term reliability and low cost of ownership is going to be the deciding factor for us. Whichever we end up with will be certified used from the dealer, with some portion of warranty remaining.

Reply to
Wooly

Hi,

Wooly schrieb:

Sorry, but that's compairing apples to oranges...

V50 and V70 are completly different cars, and both have not just one engine available.

If size matters, go for the V70.

Roland

Reply to
Roland Messerschmidt

Yes, you're correct, I failed to provide enough details. The two cars on my short list do in fact have the same power plant and drivetrain: 2.5l 5-cylinder (turbo) engines with 5-speed automatic transmissions and FWD. They also happen to have nearly-identical weights, if the spec is to be believed.

So to ask a more specific question: is the V50 overbuilt or is the V70 underbuilt, and how?

Reply to
Wooly

The V70 is much more stable and the crash protection is much better. If gas mileage is an issue then go for a V70 with a diesel-engine.

Joerg

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

Cargo capacity, ride, room for driver and passenger, comfort of seats are a few differences. A 2 mpg difference is miniscule when you consider the other costs of owning a car.

And, no you won't get a V70 for the price of a V50.

Cost of ownership of either car is influenced by the following in descending order:

  1. Initial purchase price - other than obtaining a good deal from the dealer you are stuck with this cost. It's the single biggest determinant of long term vehicle cost.
  2. Required maintenance - very similar between both cars. And the parts are not cheap, although they are well made.
  3. Reliability - both cars have from what I've read a reasonable recods of reliability. But any car will ultimately break down and have to be repaired, and the parts are not cheap for either car.
  4. Fuel efficiency - Both cars will get MPG in the 20's. The V70 turbo will get in the high 20's on the road and around 22-23 mpg in town if driven in a reasonable manner. The only time a difference in mpg should be a basis for purchasing one car over another is when you can make a significant leap in mpg. From 21mpg to 35 mpg or higher.
Reply to
Roadie

The 50-series lost the race on driver comfort alone. I have long legs and the 50 is just not built for my body type. My knees were sticking up into the steering wheel and I had to haul myself up and out because my hips were lower than my knees when in exit position.

(oy, that just doesn't read well, does it)

Getting out of the 70 was a much more dignified affair: swing out the legs, stand up. The fold-down console in the back seat is nice too - it separates two warring parties and reduces them to throwing spitwads :D

So tomorrow I'll have my mechanic go over the 70 with a fine-toothed comb, if he green-lights the car I'll make the dealer a cash offer.

And no, the 2mpg efficiency difference wasn't the deal-breaker. Long-term reliability is what I'm after and since both models measure up in that regard I opted for the full-sized wagon.

Reply to
Wooly

I'm sure you will enjoy it.

My 2004 V70 2.5T with 235-45-70 wheels has just over 70,000 miles and it is a real pleasure on the road. It has plenty of room for carrying stuff and the fold-flat seats really help. I've driven the 40 and 50 series as loaners from the dealer. And they are indeed nice cars, but they are not at the same level as a V70 because they don't cost as much.

Reply to
Roadie