V70 Electrical problem

I drive a manual 1997 V70 AWD; it has 66k miles on the clock. Today, when re-starting the car after having driven it yesterday with no problems for

150 miles or so, all the warning lights on the dash remained lit even after the engine was ticking over normally, the rev counter did not work, and neither did the speedometer. (I ran the car for a few hundred yards or so, and the speedo remained solidly on zero). The on board "information centre" (ie that tell external temperature, mpg and average mpg and so on) also did not work properly - temp and mpg both gave a series of dashes as a reading.

Thinking that the problem must be a fuse, I turned the engine off. But before trying to find the fuse box (I haven't had the car that long), I just thought I'd try starting the car again. I did, and to my surprise, everything worked perfectly well, and I drove the 150 miles home with no problems.

Any ideas on what the problem might have been? Is it a common problem? Any thoughts on whether this is the start of something expensive?

Martin

Reply to
Martin Daynes

Almost certainly a dying battery. On the first start the battery was too drauned to supply the correct level of voltage to the ECU and sensors for them to set properly. The restart would gave been easier on the battery , thus the correct setting of sensors. Th e150 mile drive would have been OK because the battery was off the lower levels of charge.

That happened to my V70 T5 last year but the battery died slowly and the electrical gremlins were a littlr puzzling, like clock restting to

00.00 and trip computer resetting plus an throttle control light. A new battery and no more problems.

I would suggest that you get it done before you find yourself 150 miles from home at midnight when a cheap job could be expensive and inconvenient. From your description you almost certainly going to get in the car very soon and that battery will be totally dead.

Traduk

Reply to
Noone

You may have the very first symptoms of a dying ignition switch. With the engine running, try wiggling the key back and forth whilst in the run position and see if you can re produce the symptoms.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.