V70 Steering Wheel recover - advice?

Have a '99 V70T5M

Has been a pretty good car -- but now am seeing some trim wear (83k on odo).

Top of steering wheel has worn/smoothed out. Not ratty, but could get there.

Any advice --- new steering wheel is $400.

Local upholstery place looked at the stitching and said -- 'no tanks'

Anybody have some advice for a high quality repair?

Thanks

Reply to
V50T5

Wheelskins. Do a search, you'll find plenty of positive references.

I've had a black Wheelskins cover on a manual steering Miata for over 40,000 miles. The manual steering, and trips to the race track, give plenty of use to the cover. It is starting to show some wear now.

The leather is much higher quality than I had expected for the price. The key to installation is to pull the laces TIGHT! That means wearing work gloves, allowing plenty of time and using needlenose pliers to grab the lace tip when needed.

I've just used a little Lexol treatment a few times, because I can't have a slippery wheel with manual steering.

...Rich S.

Reply to
RS191