CJ7 Steering upgrades

I own a 86 CJ7 with an inline 6, 32" wheels with a 4" lift and having scary steering issues running at highway speeds. I have stock parts with power steering and need to fix this issue asap. What do I need to upgrade or replace to create a solid steering response at higer speeds. Way to much play in my steering. Do I need a new pump, gearbox, shaft?

Thanks for the advice..

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Every little piece that has play all adds together. Check all of the ball joints, tie rod ends, steering wheel linkage, gearbox, etc. I don't see how the pump would add to the equation. Check the steering dampener as well.

Reply to
Rusted

For starts, it isn't likely you are going to get a solid steering response from a lifted CJ7 at high speed..... Even with all new front end parts they get white knuckle around 75 mph....

Mine was what I considered not safe at 65 mph when i got it but all the components tested 'safe' with some wear. Add up all the wear and it was down right nasty...

One quick place to check for too much wear is the column right by the firewall. There is a u-joint there. If that is sloppy, it causes a 'lot' of steering wheel play. There is a company here in Toronto Canada that rebuilds them with grease fittings. You have another slop point just before the box on the column. There is a fitting there that can get sloppy.

It is unlikely you need to touch the box, but if you do need to adjust it you do so at the adjuster plug where the column enters. The big lock nut/ring has to be loosened and a special tool used to tighten the plug all the way in. It then needs to back off 1/8" and the lock ring tightened. You don't touch the gear preset bolt on top of the box unless you have it on the bench for a rebuild. If you want to do that I have the directions on .pdf I can send.

Then you need to go under and have someone cut the steering from pin out to pin out to see if you can spot slop in any joints. Worn ones are usually visable for play.

You then can jack up the front and wiggle the wheels. If they have play, your wheel bearings need attention. The play will have the rotor moving. That will really play hell with the steering.

A few things for you...

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
rousch6

Reply to
rousch6

I did the long arm on my drag link and went out the next week and bent the sucker. It did set my steering straight after my lift though. LOL!

My steering is messed, but mine is a bad ball joint. I am not the OP.

Mike

rousch6 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain