v70 xc awd info

Hi I'm new here, is there a website that describes how the awd works on the cross country? How drive is monitored and power sent to the wheels. Controls for the three diffs, that sort of thing. Thanks Onne

Reply to
Onne

Assuming you're talking about S60 or anything else 2003 or newer then:

If you're talking about older V70 XC, then replace the Haldex unit with a viscous coupling. This is non-electronic - more speed difference (usually caused by wheel slip) means stronger lock between the front and rear axles. However in the case of different tire sizes (some new and old tires, or using the spare) then there is permanent speed difference which (in Volvo) overheats the oil in the angle gear, which fails to the tune of several thousand dollars.

Reply to
Mike F

what are the 2002 - 2003 v70 cross country / turbos like? are they all AWD? any issues one should be aware of b4 scouting out a used one?? thanx.....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

All XC models are AWD and light pressure turbo. 2002 and earlier will have the more troublesome viscous clutch AWD, so I'd stick with 2003 or newer. Actually, I'd stick with FWD, and just use some good snow tires when necessary. And the jacked up "macho look" XC doesn't do anything for me, nor does the new Volvo shape.

Reply to
Mike F

humm....thanx for the info...i am eying the

03 .. it looks pretty nice.....they are all awd and light turbos, ea?.....are they the same size / features inside as the v70?
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

queation: will i find a xc w/both seat heaters and the priemum sound system? is this "jacked up" sound system a lot better that standard factory...or, just a little bit better?.......

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Reply to
Onne

I thought this also, but found that the XC90 actually had some FWD models. Strange but true. I know you were thinking about V70 XCs but thought this was an interesting aside.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

That's true in most of the world. In Canada we only get AWD versions. But unlike the US, this year we do get the V70 T5 with a manual transmission, and it's a 6 speed!

Reply to
Mike F

"Jacked up" referred to the suspension, not the stereo. The one thing the V70 has available is a subwoofer, which really completes the sound system. If you compare back to back, and are any sort of audiophile, then you'll get the subwoofer. Fortunately it's installed at the dealer level, so you don't need to look only for cars that already have it. And of course it's nice to have the better sound system, if only for the added in dash CD capability.

As far as I know, seat heaters were an option in USA, packaged with headlight wipers. (All Canadian cars come standard with both.)

Reply to
Mike F

mike f...thanx for the info...the used s80's i was looking at had either the std factory sond system (good), but also came w/a enhansed system (better)...more power, i think....my question was, does the v70 xc also have this upgrade avail? or, as you stated, is the sound upgrade only the addtl sub wfr...?...is there a easy way to tell if the xc has the sub wfr, can you see it, or is it well hidden..?...thanx......

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

The subwoofer is separate from the upgraded sound system. All I know is from 2001 and in Canada, then on a T5 the upgraded radio was a factory option, the subwoofer installed after the car was delivered. The subwoofer is easy to spot, it's located on a big board that sits on top of the spare tire in the location where the 3rd seat would go.

Reply to
Mike F

cool...thanx....

Reply to