Which button Stabilitrak or AWD or summer drivng?

I'm not clear on the difference on which mode to operate in. Purchased used and it always starts up in AWD. For summer driving which would be most economical and least wear and tear on system?

Reply to
In Spearfish

Stabilitrak works to keep the car stable under slippery condition, hard turns that would cause a spin-out and the like. The only time you should possibly turn it off is when you have a spare tire (donut) on the car.

AWD is mostly for traction. Good in snow and other slippery conditions. While not needed all the time, I'm not sure there are benefits to turning it off.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Both are essentially the same system. BUT stablitrak also tosses your ABS and engine controls into the mix.

AWD - all 4 wheels are under power at all times.

Stabilitrak - AWD With traction control. All 4 wheels under power but if one or more starts to slip the brakes are applied to those wheels until the rotational speed matches the wheels that are not spinning.

For the least wear leave it in AWD. OR make a few modifications and make it a rear wheel ot front wheel drive.

Reply to
Steve W.