Volvo T5 opinions

Hi,

I'm considering a V70 T5 as my next car, now that I am a family man ;-)

I'd be interested to know anyone's opinions of these re reliability, servicing costs etc.

Thanks in advance,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

I've heard front tyres can last about 6000 miles.

Reply to
Doki

ISTR the main problem on them is that you can blow the rear oil seal on them, which require replacing, or it pees oil all over the clutch.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I have an S60 2.0T.

Engine is the best bit, nearly as smooth as a 6 but more efficient. Very very quick (especially in manual form) but autos more popular and a serious overtaking tool. Best seats you can get in a car, cracking stereo, plenty of space, very safe. Heater / AC very good. Reliability excellent but expect some minor niggles - hassle your dealer regularly the warranty is good but some dealers have a poor reputation (mine is excellent though). Should be solid, nothing drops off or flakes away.

Servicing is audi/bmw/merc pricing (above average), volvo insurance scheme excellent (one phone call after accident, dropped mine off, picked up keys for another volvo, rang me when it was fixed...) and performance in winter is great.

Just buy it.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I've heard front tyres can last about 30,000 miles, but haven't experienced that either.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Reply to
Peter Keating

Volvo parts from Eurocarparts = tiny hole in wallet

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Ideal model- the SE - you get most of the necessary toys like climate and computer, TRACS etc etc but not the troublesome ones like leccie seats and stuff. I would go for the auto, as tyre abuse on the manuals driven even slightly briskly is frightening. Still you will be looking at around

10-14,000 miles for a front pair on the auto. About half this with the manual.

I would also consider the 2.5T. Much more usuable in everyday driving- almost entirely lag free and almost as quick. Tyres last longer too! The

2.5T is a slightly tougher engine, not that any other the others aren;t, but by virtue of its longer stroke and lower stress will stand more abuse. Suits manual or auto just as well.

Dont be tempted to buy an abnormally cheap one- they are cheap for a reason and you will be buying trouble. However they dont go seriously wrong very often and will cover bigish mileages fairly easy.

You dont say which V70 you're looking at, but on the post 1999 pre facelift model look for problems with the electronic throttle- there are several electrical and software maladies which can affect them.

On the new model look for any other electrical naughtyness like central locking which wont, climate problems, instruments giving funny readings etc etc. This is almost always software related and it would pay to insist that the car is checked and given the latest upload if applicable as a condition of sale.

On all autos, volvo suggest there is no need for fluid changes. This is true if you only intend to run the car to 100k or so and dont tow. If you are thinking long term and tow anything 20k fluid changes are essential to make the box last. In the case of the T5 it is handling *alot* of power.

Parts are expensive in a BMW / Audi kind of way, and dealers think they know it all, and can charge accordingly. This would be ok if they knew what they were doing, and were nice with it. Afew are, alot arent. I would go see what sort of attitude your local one has first. Parts alot cheaper and just as genuine at GSF and ECP.

hope this helps.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Not if bought from Swedeutsch (or whatever they changed their name to).

I ran a 240 for about 5 years and didn't find the parts that expensive

*if* I sourced them from the right places.
Reply to
deadmail

But rarely required - buy with warranty and get everything fixed...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

experienced

I reckon I get less than 10k from a set of fronts on the Ka. God knows how long a set on a T5 would last me :).

Reply to
Doki

My Dad's Lancia Thema used to do 6k on a set of fronts, by swapping front to rear he used to get 12k from a set of tyres, that was with 200 hp.

-- James

Reply to
James

The point is that someone driving a T5 gently will get better tyre life than a 2.0T driven enthusiastically.

The T5 has the ability to lunch it's front tyres in a matter of minutes, as have most cars. Bear in mind it's a big car and budget on 10000 hard miles or 20000 easy ones and you're not far off. Fast country roads / nasty standing starts / taking on every saxo you meet will get that down to

5000miles easily.

There's no fundamental tyre wear problem, just the ability to show 60mph on the clock with the handbrake on.... (yes they will spin in 2nd and maybe

3rd)
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Depends on whether it's been raining or not.

-- James

Reply to
James

James ( snipped-for-privacy@james.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Remember the Thema 8.32, with the Ferrari 328 motor? Joke at the time was that 8.32 was the life of the front tyres, in miles.

Reply to
Adrian