Radio fitted to Volvo 440 Li ?

Hi Everyone,

My first time in this group so please forgive me if I get things a little muddled.

I have just taken delivery of a 1992 Volvo 440 Li 1.6 which is in really good condition for it's age.

The problem that I have is the radio doesn't work. When switched on the display shows -C- so obviously there needs to be a code put into it. I have the book for the VC601 radio/Cassette that is fitted, but not the code. Is it likely, that the code has been written on the radio somewhere and if so, how do I remove the radio to find it ..... ?

Many thanks in advance for any helpful answers.

-- troubleinstore

Reply to
troubleinstore

You're right that it needs a code to function, but it's very unlikely that the code will be written on the unit. Have you checked all the scraps of paper and inside covers of the handbooks and service books? There's often a space provided for the user to write the code in.

It's possible to get the radio out with a bit of brute force and ignorance, unless you have the gadget that removes it properly, but I'm guessing you don't! Your best option would be to speak to a Volvo dealer, who will be able to retrieve the code for you. They might need the car, but may just ask you for the registration or serial number of the radio. I suggest you speak to them first to find out what info they want. I'm guessing you're in the UK, so the cost should be no more than about a tenner.

The good news is that once it's working, the radios and speakers are pretty good - at least they are in the two '95 440s I've had.

Good luck, Richard

Reply to
Richard Carter