Volvo 850 self-test?

Just got my first Volvo today - '94 850 Turbo with just over 100K miles on it. I'm very happy - I've wanted one of these wagons for decades. :D

Anyhow, there are a few things of concern. Rather than list them all here, I was wondering the following:

On Jeep Grand Cherokees, there is a way to run a simple self-diagnostic test by yourself with no fancy equipment. Is there something similar in Volvos, specifically my model?

Oh, and is there another way to set the radio code besides with the number buttons - my code has two "fours" in it and, of course, the 4 button doesn't work. :/

TIA, John in NH ~~~

That's nice, but what does this have to do with Rush?

My eBay stuff:

John in NH

For 850s up to and including 1995, see:

though that's written for the 700/900 models, your 850 is the same If your radio code has the number 4 in it, you need the 4 button to work.

Reply to
Mike F

Well you could pull the radio, then remove the front panel to get at the PCB and just use a jumper wire to short the contacts, it's pretty straight forward, just two screws to remove.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Had to remove the button to get at/clean the microswitch. It works now. Any place to get replacement buttons for the radios? :)

TIA, John in NH

~~~

That's nice, but what does this have to do with Rush?

My eBay stuff:

John in NH

Reply to
madiba

There is, it's down behind the offside headlight. There's a couple of sockets A and B and a jumper wire and an LED. :)

um, scrapper? Did you break the button? pretty hard to do!

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Ah, I'll check it out. . .

Yeah, pried it out to clean the microswitch and the button's pretty hacked up now.

~~~

That's nice, but what does this have to do with Rush?

My eBay stuff:

John in NH

From the link I gave you, click on "General Notes on On-Board Diagnostics in Volvo RWD Cars" Follow all instructions for up to 1995 cars. Yours is exactly like that, except the A and B boxes are up by the right headlight. No tool needed.

Reply to
Mike F

Reply to
Mechanic

You should have removed the whole front panel, it's not hard, two screws and it unclips.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

K. Thanx. ~~~

That's nice, but what does this have to do with Rush?

My eBay stuff:

John in NH