98 V70 no power windows

I have a '98 V70 and the windows will not work. At the master switch if you try and lower the driver window it makes a grinding noise from the switch. All the other buttons are silent. This includes the switches at each door.

Any ideas what the cause is?

Thanks, Pete

Reply to
Peter (Remove the Remove)

Is fuse no. 2 ok? Do the lights in the switches work?

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

If the noise is actually coming from the switch pack (and not from the motor just behind), then I'd guess there's something wrong with the autodown relay, or the switch contacts have fused together. The system is protected with an auto resetting circuit breaker which also protects the sunroof. Assuming you have one, does your sunroof work?

Reply to
Mike F

There is no #2 fuse for the windows that I can find. Is there a relay or a breaker that controls it? Can I replace it myself? Thanks, Pete

Reply to
Peter (Remove the Remove)

Sometimes it makes a noise sometimes no noise. I see there is no fuse for the windows, so the only thing controling it outside of the window switch would be the auto reset breaker (unless there is a relay). Are the other windows dependant on power going to the main window switch? The sunroof does not work when the windows do not work. Also, the power may come on after a few hours or overnight but as soon as you use it the power goes out again.

Maybe this indicates a short in the system. Any ideas?

Pete

Reply to
Peter (Remove the Remove)

All windows (and the sunroof) are fed from the auto resetting breaker. So when the breaker pops, no windows or the sunroof will work. Also, the driver's door switch pack needs to be connected for any of the others to work. So it's pretty well certain you have a short. I would guess it's the driver's switch pack causing the grief, based on experience.

Reply to
Mike F