volvo 850 T5 estate

HI

I have intermittent problem, the car pumps out steam, condensing onto the windscreen and side windows. It comes through the vent system and even around the steering wheel housing. It creating clouds of vapour which is bad enough to fully open the window, stop the car and clean off the condensed vapour from the glass. After a minute or so it stops.

Anybody out there to give me some ideas?

Car is 1997 855 T5 auto estate.

thank you, in advance, for your help.

Ed

Reply to
ed

I'd look to see if the condensate drain for the A/C is blocked. As I remember there's a small hose in a low spot in the heater box on the passenger side. Disconnect it and see if water comes out. If so, clean it. Have something available to catch the water, there can be lots. I doubt that it's the heater core leaking, it wouldn't stop right away. Also check under the plastic panel where the cabin filter is/would go. Rain water gets in there, and should drain out.

Reply to
Mike F

Had a similar problem several years ago on a '91 940T. It was the heating core, but it was pretty constant since it happened in the winter when I was running the heater. I don't know but what it may also leak when the AC is running. At any rate, be sure to open the windows and try not to inhale any of that vapor --- it's bad stuff if it's coming from the heating core.

Reply to
mdrawson

forgot to mention the car has no A/C

Reply to
ed

ed wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If it smells like antifreeze, then it's your heater core, although I wouldn't have expected that to start and stop as you describe. What does antifreeze smell like? Open the expansion tank when cool, and sniff. It's kind of a sweetish chemical smell is the only way I can describe it.

Reply to
bc

Does this happen when you pass blondes or brunettes mainly ? sounds like the heater core had gone actually .

Reply to
John Robertson

Just been to the mechanics, they had a look at the heater matrix and found some moisture. They added the equivalent of a EGG into the coolant tank to see if that will clear the problem.

Thanks for the advice and interest..

Ed

Reply to
ed