Radiator fan motor smoking.

Few days ago while driving I smelt strong wire burning smell. When I stoped the car, smoke was coming out from under the hood. It looks like it's the cooling fan motor which has sized. When I turn the blades it goes freely than stops and it is very hard to push. How can I check the motor. It has three wires red, green, black. Green is for the switch, black to the ground, and red power. Can I connect black and red to car battery to confirm motor not working? The car is 1996 Volvo 850 GLT wagon. Volvo dealer here in Canada is asking $370 for new motor blade assembly. I can not find after market stores that would have them. Adam

Reply to
Adam

No need to go farther - the bearings are kaput. (I'm sure the windings are in sad shape after some of the smoke was let out, too!)

A wrecking yard would be my choice for a replacement. Give the blade a spin when you buy it and if it spins freely it is as good as your old one was before it failed.

Mike

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Red and black give you high fan speed, green and black will give you a lower speed. If it doesn't turn by hand then either the blades are blocked or the motor is kaput. Maybe you can take the motor apart and fix whatever is mechanically stopping it from turning.

Reply to
Mike F

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

I don't have good look with wrecking yards, there don't seem to be that many Volvos in them to begin with, but it might be worth a shot. My first choice would be to give fcp groton a call, or check their web site for a new one, but it all depends on how much you want to spend and how long you are planning on keeping the car.

Reply to
bc

Glenn Klein