Volvo no start, it's really flooding out THROTTLE BODY CLEANING????

Yup, our '88 245 is still very not starting.

I'm thinking about trying this theory others have had regarding cleaning the throttle body on the car.

Before, when the car ran symptoms that pre-cluded this no-start included:

-very, very poor fuel mileage.

-hard starts

-uneven idle (missing). This would even out once car reached operating temperature.

-dark black exhaust, very noticeable (unburned fuel, big time)

-the engine would stagger, almost stall, after running at high RPM. A great example would be if you revved the engine while parked. While RPM lowered, it almost stalled before it quit.

-Adjusting the idle speed screw does nothing.

Now...

-injectors are working

-new spark plugs, cap, rotor

-plugs are soaked with fuel, nothing is burning.

-cranks really well, not even close to catching.

I see alot of mention of trying to clean out the throttle body, I may give this a try, any ideas??? Right now I'm so frustrated I'm thinking of installing the engine+tranny from my old 1979 in this car, then at least I can trouble shoot something I understand (B21A vs B230 in newer car...)

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

Chris Mears Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Reply to
chris mears

found this link earlier today, and after reading it, cleaning thethrottle body and setting the switch was a snap.

Reply to
zencraps

Compression test, verify ignition function... Timing chain?

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Disconnect the O2 sensor. If it's shorted to ground it will force the fuel computer full rich.

Pull the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator and be sure that the diaphragm is not ruptureg and dumping fuel directly into the intake manifold.

Bob

Reply to
User

[ ... ]

Checked the air filter? If it's badly clogged, it can cause a rich condition.

Also check the catalytic converter; it could be clogged.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

The one thing I'm not seeing mentioned here is the very first thing I would have checked, the air mass meter. Try unplugging it and see if the engine starts, if it does then that part is bad.

Reply to
James Sweet