Volvo Problems!! 1989 DL

Hi guys

When I start it up in morning..drives great...no problems when driving...as the day goes on, with car sitting here and there, it starts to hesitate...by the end of the day when giving gas it will chuckle and slightly buck. When at an idle it will be going along smootly and start to chuckle.

So to sum it up....starts off great in morning..after 1/2 hour trip of driving...runs bad...feels like engine is caughing

HELP PLEASE...long winter ahead!!!!

Reply to
PETER MITCHELL

Just a thought - has the fuel filter been changed recently?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I hear a lot of suggestions for the fuel filter, maybe it's just my luck but I have yet to ever come across a car that was fixed by replacing the filter, that or the spark plugs, they seem to have to get in *really* bad shape before they make much of a noticeable problem.

The usual suspects are the air mass meter, temperature sensor, and the engine wiring harness.

Reply to
James Sweet

That's probably because you did better preventive maintenance than I did!

I've had several run-ins with plugged fuel filters (although not in our Volvos - maybe because the filters are large). The most common symptom I've had is that the engine will falter and stall, then start and run okay an hour or so later. My son's Subaru (his first car - it was about 15 years old when he bought it) was limited to about 30 mph when the filter plugged.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Not just my cars, I was referring to any of the (mostly Volvo) cars I've worked on over the years. I'm certainly not saying it can't happen, but I've just never encountered a clogged fuel filter. Perhaps the fuel is dirtier in some areas, or the climate causes the tanks to rust internally, or crud of some sort to grow in there, dunno.

Only car I've ever seen affected by spark plugs was a Merkur XR4Ti that someone had put Bosche Platinums in it, ran like complete crap, absolutely amazing difference when plain cheap NGK plugs were installed, never seen anything like that before and still can't explain it.

Reply to
James Sweet

Same here. I put platinums in our 765T and maybe a year later it started running badly. I pulled the plugs out and they just had holes where the platinum electrodes were. Never figured out what that was about. Otherwise, I've had a distributor cap kill a cylinder, and had Champion spark plugs cut out under load (2 cars).

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee