Odd rear fog light on '92 944?

I got a "bulb out" light on the instrument cluster. As I was going through the all the rear bulbs (since none appeared to be out - front or rear) I found that the right side rear fog light is a dummy! The bulb mount has a spot for a bulb but was empty. The lens is molded with a capped over pass through for the bulb to go into the lens! I can't imagine why.

If anyone knows what could possibly be the reason for this please let me know. What would be the point of having a rear fog light on only one side...

Reply to
don b.

It is a European "thing". They require a bright red bulb on the driver's side when fog lights are in use. Only one side to be different from brake lights. (Remember the "driver's side" could be left or right depending on country)

Reply to
Reed

Yes. It was fun to use the fog lights to simulate brake lights for the 'benefit' of tailgaters, but I suppose they might also react to just one...

Reply to
mjc1

Older Volvos had them on both sides, newer ones have it on the driver's side. The lense is molded on both sides because they use the same lense for RHD cars.

Reply to
James Sweet

Interesting... Thanks! Good information.

Reply to
don b.