volvo turns over, won't fire

1998 Volvo V70 XC AWD 2.4L, 5 cyl.

I recently pulled the engine and transmission in order to replace old seals and gaskets. The car has 225,000 miles and was leaking everywhere, but other than that, the car was running fine. We had driven it around many times before pulling the engine. I finished the work and put the engine back in, and the car turns over strongly, but won't fire. There is no spark getting to the plugs so I checked the distributor wire coming from the coil. There was no spark either. I have checked the crankshaft positioning sensor and the camshaft positioning sensor. Both check out good. I checked all fuses to make sure none were burnt. All good. I double checked all connectors to all sensors and cleaned them with connector cleaner to ensure good contact. I double checked the timing and alignment marks and even put a compression tool in the number 1 cylinder to make sure that it is on top dead center. I even compared it to another engine in the junkyard. There are no codes although I am using a regular code reader not specifically for Volvo's. And, yes, the ground strap from the body is tight. Since then, I have also rechanged the crank sensor and the camshaft sensor and put a new coil. Nothing. Then I replaced the main engine relay. Still nothing. I located the automatic shutdown relay and there is no lack of voltage to any so I assume they are fine too. Where does that lead me? I have hit rock bottom. Any help on why I am getting no spark? Jacob

Here are some ideas from others below:

Number 1 did you rehook ground strap on firewall to engine block,or your coilpack could be bad.if you have distributor try replaceing pic up modgul in it.

Number 2 Did you re-install the ground strap from the engine to the body and/or frame? Also, check the automatic shutdown relay, as it supplies battery voltage to the ignition coils.

Number 3 how about crank sensor or ecm fuse in fuse box.if crank sensor is not position correct will not fire make sure it is not rubing h.balancer.i think volvo put it their.if not check back of trans if every thing is ok it has to be one of the 2 not to get spark. let me know.

Reply to
jmjrgaitan

This would seem an easy to fix problem.

Firstly, I presume the ECU is actually being powered up with ignition on? Do you have the MIL lamp lit, and fuel pump prime etc happening when you turn on?

Next, do you have fuel being injected whilst cranking? If not, then you have no primary ignition signal to the ECU (i.e. cam position sensor or crank sensor- both must be good)

If you do have injection and the tacho needle moving, then the fault must be secondary ignition:

The ignition amp is mounted behind the coil. It has a 5 pin connector. Check this plug is correctly seated and that there is +12v at it with ignition on (supplied via the main relay)

I dont have the pinouts to hand at the moment, but there should be +12v, ground (ring tag is trapped behind mounting bolt) switching wire (back to ECU) and output wire (direct to coil)

I will find the pinouts if it helps, but they are quite easy to determine.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..