Volvo vs 3rd party brake pads for 1999 V70 in UK

I am about to replace the front and rear brake pads on my 1999 V70 2.5D - after nearly 4 years and 37,000 miles.

The total price of a front and rear axle set of genuine Volvo pads is about £120 (including VAT) - whereas Halfords can supply the equivalent items (albeit 3rd parts rather than genuine Volvo) for about £33 - i.e. a little over a quarter of the Volvo price.

Does anyone have any direct experience of either of these types of pads? It seems to me that, unless the Halfords pads are absolute crap - which is unlikely since Halfords have a reasonable reputation to maintain - they have got to be better value. I must admit that the Volvo pads have lasted better than those on any other car I have driven (although the other cars have been company cars, whereas I *own* this one - so that may be explained by a slightly different driving style!). So, as long as the Halfords pads last for over a year and over 10,000 miles, and as long as they perform as well when it comes to stopping the car - they've got to be better. [If I was was paying someone to fit them, then the additional cost of labour would come into the equation - but, in my case, labour is free].

I would be grateful for any constructive comments.

TIA, Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

G Margrie

There seem to be a lot of comments about that non-OEM pads have a tendency to squeal....not very good for your image...

Reply to
Conrad Edwards

Hi, i'm very happy with my Zimmermann brake rotors and TMD Friction/Mintex pads in an 850 GLT 93.

I cost a fraction of original.

Good luck

"Conrad Edwards" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Luis Aguayo

Replaced my pads with anti dust pads. Check them out at

Karim.

Many thanks to all who replied. I have now fitted the Halfords pads, and they seem ok - no squealing etc.

Time will tell how long they last!

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills