Was Volvo '99 C70 built after Ford purchase?

I'm thinking of purchasing a newer used Volvo and I was thinking of the 940, 960, or 850. But then I saw the 1999 Volvo C70. Wow!! My only fundamental question is: will it be as reliable as my Volvo

240DL? The first thing that came to mind was that (maybe) this Volvo was built after the Ford acquisition and that worried me very much. So, was Ford in control when the C70 was made? Will it be as dependable, trustworthy, and reliable as the other older Volvos or is it a Ford piece of crap (like the new Jaguars)? Honestly, My '89 240DL has been such a reliable car that it should meet those standards (I crashed into a light pole recently and nothing happened to it). It may look great but if it's not solidly built like my 240, then i really am not interested in it.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
VM

It probably *was* built after the Ford purchase - but only just. The design and manufacture is pure Volvo, with no Ford interference. I have a 1999 (2000 MY) V70 - and that is fine, with no evidence of any Ford influence.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

The C70 is the same as the S70 and V70 that stopped being made around 2000.

These were facelifted 850s so as you can see, the basic platform has been around for quite some time and a long time before Ford came on the scene

Reply to
Networkguy

The V70 and C70 are still in production (2004). The C70 is due for an update soon. The last year the S70 was sold in the US was infact the

2000 model year as you state. That was the best year for the S70.

This is indeed correct.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

First Jaguars have improved since Ford acquired them. As have Aston-Martins. In this particular case, the C70 was designed before the Ford acquisition.

Second no modern Volvo (even ones made before Ford acquired Volvo) will look like nothing happened to it after you run into a light-pole. One general principle in automobile safety appears to be that crumple-zones absorb the energy of the impact, and therefore reduce its consequences on the occupants. As a consequence, the auto buys it, but your innards are much happier.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf