Volvo C70 rear brake pads

Volvo C70 mk 2 2006 - changing rear brake pads.

The last time I changed brake pads was about 40 years ago on my MGB, and things seem more complicated now.

I've got the wheel and caliper off, but I apparently need a brake caliper rewind tool - on order, and I'll collect it tomorrow.

Can folks please confirm that I can't just push the caliper back with a G clamp?

Also, I tried putting fine nosed pliers in the two holes and turning those, but there's absolutely no movement whatsoever. Is it really meant to be that hard to turn?

Finally, I released the handbrake before starting. Is there an adjustment on the handbrake that I have to slacken off before I retract the caliper? I'm reluctant to pull the gaiter off from the handbrake because it's a bit elderly and looks like it will split. So, I won't try unless I have to.

Thanks.

Reply to
GB

If you press the piston back without turning it at the same time, you will need to buy a new caliper, the auto adjust bit inside will shatter.

Do not adjust the handbrake cable.

The piston will need quite a bit of effort to turn it. A peg spanner coupled with some pressure is required, which is what the right tool will do.

It can be worth peeling the piston seal back slightly and squirting a little silicone lube in, this makes it easier to turn the piston.

The bleed nipple should be undone while pushing the piston back, or contaminated fluid will be pushed back into the brake system.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks for the warning. The MGB had drum brakes on the back, IIRC. It was at heart a Morris Minor but without the back seat.

Too late! The destructions packed with the brake pads (from Volvo) definitely said to slacken it off.

We made a tool to turn it, and as you say that takes some effort. However, it does not apply pressure so I'll get the right tool tomorrow and carry on then.

Thanks. Will do.

Reply to
GB

I am surprised about slackening the cable, put it in the off position certainly. Pump the brakes after calipers are back on before making any cable adjustments.

Reply to
MrCheerful

That's all worked nicely, thanks. That was once I bought the second rewind tool - the one with the right adapter!

Reply to
GB

Not really. Actually more an Austin A50 than a Minor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have seen a youtube video of someone doing that on an Astra H rear caliper. The trick is to apply pressure with a clamp and at the same time rotate the piston.

Some cars need a pair of rewind tools becuse each side is handed.

Reply to
Andrew

Oh, okay, but bloody simple to work on compared to today's cars.

Reply to
GB

It had to be given the amount of servicing it needed.

I'd also not say changing drum brake shoes all that easy. Springs etc to fight against. With the correct tool, resetting a disc type handbrake mechanism is quick and easy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)