What's the best model Volvo?

Oh dear, you really don't know? I was referring to your crude, boorish slander of how other countries conduct their business; as well as your naive and silly assumption that the American business model is inherently superior to all others. You probably think Americans also have the highest quality of life in the world and are happier than anyone else, too.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

Really? Show me where I did that, please. You went through and basically called everyone who didn't agree with you an idiot. I simply took exception with your personal comments about me. I've never once said anything negative about your opinion about a car.

Reply to
PButler111

| > I know what "irony" means...:) Was there a point to your | > comment?...:) | | Oh dear, you really don't know? I was referring to your crude, | boorish slander of how other countries conduct their business; as well | as your naive and silly assumption that the American business model is | inherently superior to all others. You probably think Americans also | have the highest quality of life in the world and are happier than | anyone else, too.

One wonders what your were "reading" - or more likely, "smoking". I said nothing about "other countries" beyond commenting on the obvious well known fact that Sweden has had enormous problems - Volvo factories included - with rampant drunkenness....! That's why so many Volvos, especially the "better" newer versions are built in Belgium and other places.

I said not one word about the superiority of the American business model - I merely commented, FACTUALLY, that every company Ford has taken over has improved as a result of the takeover. FYI, Ford didn't impose their "business model" on Jaguar, Aston Martin or others but instead provided CASH and expertise. Similarly, Honda, Mercedes-Benz and BMW didn't impose their business models when they moved manufacturing operations to the USA and bought other companies. Chrysler is still Chrysler even though MB owns it....

You, sir, are just another anti-American jerk who delights in finding criticism where none was offered. But, since you started the "anti" rant, your inferiority complex is showing.....:)

Your undisguised jealousy says more about you than it does about me.....!

PC

Reply to
Proconsul

| >I think you need to look into the nearest mirror - you're describing | >yourself. | >

| >PC | | Really? Show me where I did that, please. You went through and basically | called everyone who didn't agree with you an idiot. I simply took exception | with your personal comments about me. I've never once said anything negative | about your opinion about a car.

I called no one an "idiot". I stated cledarly a poinit of view about a prevailing attitude with which I disagree....I made no personal comments about you other than you should look to yourself since I perceive you to be describing yourself while attempting to put me down....:)

You didn't take exception, you simply tried to "whack" someone you don't like but can't hold a discussion with.....:)

Begone, wretch!

PC

| |

Reply to
Proconsul

I don't think he said that. I think he meant that the influx of cash and technical expertise from Ford has done a world of good to Aston-Martin (maybe - my comment), and Jaguar (certainly - my comment). Just as Daimler has rescued Chrysler ....

I think that generally speaking Ford has been less aggressive in imposing their car design philosphies upon the companies they've taken over than say, GM. Consider Saab as an example of a GM takeover just wrecking the design philosophy of a car company, and now forcing them to sell rebadged Opels and Subarus as Saabs.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Please, please tell people you're Canadian. I really don't want anyone thinking you represent the American mindset.

Reply to
PButler111

You "stated cledarly a poinit"? What?

.I made no personal comments

Actually, you called me childish. I then took exception to that. You seem to be a bit confused both about your own comments and about the order in which things happened.

I most emphatically did take exception to your personal comments, as well as to your overall attitude with everyone you've been denigrating on this board. As for not being able to hold a discussion with you, I've yet to see you attempt to discuss anything with anyone.

Last I knew, this was a public newsgroup over which you have absolutely no control.

Reply to
PButler111

Hmmm. And where is it that you think I come from?

Reply to
Tim McNamara

It doesn't matter where you come from - the description was/is accurate.....:) There are plenty of Americans who bash their own country incessantly - wouldn't want the French to think they weren't "sensitive"......:)

PC

Reply to
Proconsul

I thought it was pretty accurate, considering his criticism of the swedish govt.. 'Chauvinism' might have been more appropriate with jingoism generally meaning militant patriotism.

Reply to
Ray Laughton

Or are just smart enough not to accept the Republican whitewash at face value.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

So, VM...now that everyone chimed in to help you with their knowledge, which model will you choose?

RS

Reply to
Rusty

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Who owns the Aleutians these days? Maybe we can ship him there.

Reply to
PButler111

Do a google NG search on the guy. His ability to iritate is becoming legendary.

RS

Rob Guenther wrote:

Reply to
Rusty

Citroens are STYLISH????? My personal theory is that the entire Citroen styling team is blind... never has a car-company so consistently built such stupid-looking vehicles. Rant over!

Reply to
Nick

I've always loved my '89 240DL but since I'm a younger guy (27 yrs. old), I'm looking for something more "modern" but with the same reliability as the 240DL. I recently saw the '98 C70 (the closest one to my budget) but I think it could end up costing me more than what I can afford. Is there anything (Volvo or not) that looks like a C70 that'll fall within my budget of $7000-$8000? I can always look for a Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc... but, unlike the Volvo, those names sound so blah and ordinary :-)) Surprisingly, I'm frequently seeing tons of BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, Volvo S series, but I've never seen a C70. And unless my car taste is skewed (which I don't think it is), the C70 looks nicer than any of those cars.

Thanks again for all your help.

Reply to
VM

You will be hard-pressed to get a C70 at that price. However, you should easily be able to get an 850 at that price, and the front-end of the 850 looks a lot like the C70. Off-course it isn't a 2-seater, or available as a cabrio.

Another car in that price-range would be the VW Cabrios. I think they look really nice, but I've never driven one.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

'89 240 DL is gonna be about the best you can get, if you have $5k to spend, why not dump that into the car you already have to make it like new?

Reply to
James Sweet

For comfort, longevity and ease of maintenance, I totally agree.

RS

James Sweet wrote:

Reply to
Rusty