What would you do with a 1983 Volvo 240 GL...

....To get the best life from it? This car has 172,000 miles, and I've got the money to fix it up. It runs now, but I'm eyeing repairs that will help avoid breakdowns on long highway trips.

I've already decided on a new water pump, and a new timing belt.

What else am I missing?

TIA,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lawrence

yep...your on the right track....good shoes (tyres), check belts, hoses, fluids...I like to slap on some IPD parts...like the anti sway bars and the leather steering wheel cover ...extra goodie...check shocks/struts and cycle the oil and tranny fluid ..get a cell phone and your all set...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

New fuel pump.

Reply to
Misterbeets

You didn't say if you just acquired the car or have had it a while so assuming it's new to you... A tune up is nice. While you're in there doing the water pump and timing belt, replace all the belts, hoses, filters, fluids, cap, rotor, and wires, and thermostat. If the radiator is the least bit questionable, replace it. It's easier to do most of the above with it out anyway.

Check (replace as required) Tires, brakes, U joints, suspension bushings, shocks, rod ends, motor and tranny mounts, exhaust system.

Go through the fuse box and clean the corruption off the fuse sockets. Get some extra fuses.

Put a headlight relay in it. The headlight switch in my '83 failed one night as I was leaving work. Drove it home on the high beam flasher. If it had crapped the prior weekend, I'd have been spending the night in the desert.

Reply to
Clay

oops... forgot the fan clutch.

Reply to
Clay

What you mentioned and the hits and tips of others are all spot on. I kight add that you should visit a pink and pull yard and get some spares. Particularly a spare air mass meter- sure, call me paranoid, but I carry one spare in the car and have two more spares on the shelf. You get that way after spending two weeks trying to trace down a problem and have it be the AMM. A ten minute switch and the car ran like new.. well much better anyway.

I also carry a spare ignition module and fuel pump relay. __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Resolder the fuel pump relay, check the engine wiring harness, measure the amp draw of the main fuel pump, check the brakes and suspension bushings, the rest is just standard tuneup stuff.

Reply to
James Sweet

Nah, just replace that if it fails, it won't leave you stranded. If it does fail to engage you could make a temporary fix with some twine or wire, or just keep the speed up so the fan isn't necessary.

Reply to
James Sweet

agreed... but since it's already out of the car (when changing the water pump) might as well change it.

Reply to
Clay

This model year used the "environment-friendly" wiring insulation that crumbled into dust and led to electrical shorts and grounds. At this date, there's a good chance that the wiring harness in the engine bay has already been replaced or repaired with more durable wiring, but it should be inexpensive to have this checked by an experienced Volvo 240 mechanic who will be very familiar with this all too common problem. This problem has left many a driver stranded or frustrated with mysterious electric problems. Upgraded wiring harnesses are available from aftermarket suppliers.

Reply to
Pat Quadlander