Rear Drums on '96 Camry DX 235,000 MIles

I recently put in a timing belt, water pump, 2 new axles, oil pump assembly and now front disc brakes - I did this at around 220,000 miles. Total investment of around 1400.00 so far. But I figured all routine maintenance I probabaly got a way with for a while so I took a shot. Car runs great as far as I am concerned. Now to the topic. I have never replaced the rear drums. The emergency brake is useless and since it's a 5spd I'd like to get it fixed. However I would not like to invest a lot of money at this point due to the amount of milage on the car. Would appreciate any input on the emergency brake, I tried adjusting by driving backwards, I think it helped a little. How much could it possibly cost to replace the rear drums and fix the emergency brake - TIA - Steve P.S. my mechanic wouldn't give me a ballpark figure as he was explaining about cables to each wheel, etc, etc. wants to look before quoting a price.

Reply to
steve-o

It could just be the cable is loose. you should call to price drums, prices vary they are cheap. and when you consider cutting them, and the cost of cutting it often does not make sence to keep them.

Reply to
m Ransley

Just have them pull the rear drums and check the linings (usually done at the yearly motor vehicle safety inspection) --- if they are ok then they can manually adjust the shoes - cost $30. If not then you'll need new shoes - still less than $100 installed. New drums needed? - I doubt it unless they are scored or out of round.

Reply to
Wolfgang