Which UK Volvo has the York A/C Compressors ???

Hi all I'm new to this group and mostly live in alt.fan.landrover.

I want to get hold of a York A/C compressor from a scrapper. A friend of mine has told me to look at Volvo's as they used this type for a while. The problem is I dont know what model or age to look at. A quick look around the local scrap yard revealed many volvo's but none with A/C.

I am in the UK.

Hope you can help.

Thanks. Jon

Reply to
Jon

Over here all the pre-85 240's with A/C had the York compressor and most of them had it. A/C became standard on all Volvos in '86 here but they all had Diesel-Kiki compressors at least up to as recent as I've dealt with. I suspect a 240 with A/C old enough to have a York compressor would be quite rare in the UK and if you do find one it's likely that the 22+ year old compressor will need some work.

Reply to
James Sweet

OK, many thanks. I guess I'll just need to be patient, or find somehting else!

Thanks again. Jon

Reply to
Jon

What do you need the compressor for? I know I've seen someplace that sells rebuilt ones.

Reply to
James Sweet

Its to go into my Landrover to use as an onboard air compressor.

I currently have a Sanden one but this was designed to use the refrigerant as lubricant. Consequently now I need to periodically feed oil into the compressor - this isnt a real problem but for the oil in the air etc etc.

Whilst the oil trap catches most of it...

A York compressor with integral oil sump and traditional piston design would be better.

Cost is also a factor, hence on the lookout for one off a scrapper. There is a place in the states (on eBay) that does them for about $200

- $300. Too expensive!

Thanks J>

Reply to
Jon

Hmm, I think they were used on quite a few domestic vehicles here, never really looked for one but I can have a peek the next time I'm at a junkyard. I think shipping to there might be prohibitively expensive though. I have one in my 240 but it's serving it's intended purpose so I'm gonna leave it there :)

Hey actually I just looked on ebay, there's quite a few of them but again there's the shipping issue.

James Sweet

Thanks for this, as you say shipping is really prohibitive. I will need to keep a look out for old 240's here with A/C.

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

I read that Mercedes also used them, I suspect it might be easier to find an old one of those with A/C, they were also used in Jeeps, not sure if you got those.

Reply to
James Sweet

Jeeps of the relevant age will be more scare than the preverbial rocking horse doo da's!! I will keep an eye out for the Merc's though as we have lots of them (relatively speaking!).

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

Kinda interesting, here 80's jeeps are everywhere, the Cherokee was very popular in the mid 80's through the early 90s.

Reply to
James Sweet