Experts: Look at the photos where my A/C was stolen from

I found the owner's brother last night and he confirmed that the 1985 Toyota Tercel wagon 2WD that had been in the family since it was new, definitely
had A/C. He used to ride in it a lot.
Experts: I have shot these photos under the hood and would appreciate any eagle-eye evidence that supports that there once was an air conditioner in this car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19416885@N08/2428673265/in/set-72157604646818417 /
Be sure to click on the pictures to get the larger versions.
I'm going to be in touch with the Bureau of Automotive Repair tomorrow to see what can be done.
The car had extensive work done on it the past few weeks, and when I asked him to charge the A/C he acted very odd. He's been my mechanic for years, and he's never acted like this.
I also saw the same car as this one on the lift that same day...
Advice is appreciated too.
---firefly

In Los Angeles I found out that each A/C pipe from the junk yard costs $100. The cost for the rest of the iffy used parts is high. The cost for new and installed is $2,300. The compressor new is $350. The world down here is like a war zone for survival and for any kind of comfort.
The owner could open shop on Sunday and make a nice profit installing my parts in the other 1985 Tercel wagon I saw on the lift.
Supplying this many illegals who strip everything clean in seconds makes the demand jack the prices of everything sky high.
We have millions of do-it-yourselfers now in Los Angeles, and they are the majority.
---firefly
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 23:06:42 +0000, Jeff Strickland wrote:

Not necessarily.
The AC system is the same on a lot of cars. Er, Toyotas, that is.
Would not a Toyota dealer be able to look up the VIN and see if that one came with a.c.? I don't know if things were that well documented in '84/85 to tell you for sure - I know a modern car you can get a complete printout for with the car fully defined from the VIN. Also, at that time a.c. may have been a dealer add-on item, and so may not show in the VIN records. BUT - it might be worth checking to see what the dealer can come up with.
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:08:27 -0400, Bill Putney wrote:

Yeah, he could.
Even as far back as '85, the build information is still on file and can be looked up easily.
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:35:20 -0700, "firefly"

Hey Firefly, after looking at your photos, I can say that your car either did or didn't have an AC system. To be on the save side, call the police and report that (might be) thief. Then go to a Toyota dealer and order an AC unit to be installed on your car. Tell the Toyota dealer your story and ask them to bill your old mechanic. You should have no trouble getting them to laugh.
Next, take out an ad in the paper and tell the general public about this shyster mechanic. Ask the paper to bill your old mechanic and, after telling your story again, you should have no trouble getting them to laugh.
I know that you've had no trouble getting me to laugh!
Thanks for the comedy relief, it was needed.
Retired VIP wrote:
<...>

I find it amusing, too.
I hope his psychiatrist does. I wonder if he will get an increase in his antipsychotic medication, now that his paranoia is up.
Jeff
You just need to have your jaw crunched. That would repair your dementia.
---firefly

Several people have asked you to post photographs of the heat/AC controls inside the car, including the button labeled "AC". Why have you not done that?
And, I asked you about your call or visit to the police. You have not responded to that question. Please do so now.
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 07:28:10 -0700, "firefly"

Oh my Jeff, we're in trouble. Oh Oh Oh...I just pee'd down both legs!!!
Did you or anyone else look at the captions?
If you didn't, your observations are laughable.
---firefly

I did look at the captions and posted my opinions. Among the jobs I held during my 15 years working for the company that made your car, I spent a year working at the port of entry where AC's are installed in cars and was also a district service manager calling on dealerships, so I am fairly familiar with AC installations.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

C. E. White wrote:

Ed - Several of us have been over several (very possibly all) of the points you just made. Some of the advice (such as have a dealer pull up the VIN) goes totally ignored. Either someone beyond help or someone having some fun with us.
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:35:20 -0700, firefly wrote:

set-72157604646818417/
Sorry, man, I don't think this car ever had AC.
The only mount points you show are way too dirty/rusty to have had anything removed recently. Most of what you show are evaporative emissions components.
Most Toyotas had the AC installed at the port of entry, in your case, Long Beach. This means removing part of the dash to install the air exchanger. Chances are the mechanic didn't remove the air exchanger. If he did then he would have had to swap out a LOT of parts under the dash, and it would have taken quite a long time.
Also, this means removing the radiator. If the bolts haven't been disturbed then they weren't removed.
All in all, it's way too labor intensive for someone to do on a Sunday. Perhaps removing the system one day, and installing it the next, but you pretty much have to remove two complete climate systems and then reinstall two complete climate systems. No easy chore on that car.

One of my first jobs was at the port of entry where, among other things, port installed air conditioners were installed. I saw literally thousands of units installed in vehicles, so I think I am fairly familiar with what the cars looked like with and without AC.
Air 11: The label is not readable in the photo, but the same label is used for vehicles with and without AC.
Air 10: The plate shown is one of the VIN plates that is mounted on the firewall. It does not give any information regarding whether or not AC is installed or not, but I can tell that your color code is 884 (blue) and you have a gray interior.
Air 9: The cable that leads to the temperature control on the dash is connected to the valve for the heater. The "hose stuffed into a hose" is the factory installation. The outer "hose" is insulation to keep vibration from wearing a hole in the hose for the evaporative emissions charcoal canister. The oval plug in the firewall is where the AC lines would go if AC is installed. The dirt on the oval plug and the surrounding areas on the firewall and the lack of fingerprints suggests that the plug has been in place for a long time. There is no mark from where the receiver/drier was installed. I doubt if someone stealing an AC system would take the trouble to install the original factory plug, which gets discarded when AC is installed, and then carefully apply dirt to match the surrounding area.
Air 8: Another view of the charcoal canister and firewall plug shown in Air 9 - they look undisturbed to me.
Air 7: I don't remember for sure, but I don't think that the flat area is where AC line would be attached. The red heater hose is aftermarket.
Air 6: If the vehicle did not have a factory AC, it would not have an AC fuse. I suspect that a shop with ready access to fuses would just install a new one in the vehicle that they are installing the AC in if they were going to steal an AC system. This photo does not provide any evidence one way or the other.
Air 5: The bolt holes look pretty rusty and not like they have had bolts installed in them. Also, the flat area at the top of the bolt holes also look rusty and not like anything has been mated to its surface.
Air 4: A V-belt rides on the sides of the pulley, not the bottom. The condition of the pulley where a V-belt would contact looks like it has not had a belt installed. If a belt was installed, I would think that the sides of the pulley would have the paint rubbed off.
Air 3: The picture does not show the footing for the condenser. The condenser is installed on the other side of the radiator, towards the front of the car. The radiator bracket definitely looks original, the radiator cap, upper radiator hose, and clamp are aftermarket. A picture of the front of the radiator, especially on the driver's side, instead of the back would be more relevant.
Air 2: A view of the right front strut, a vacuum switching valve, vacuum lines, air cleaner housing, and EGR modulator. Doesn't provide any information regarding the AC.
Air: You have mentioned the heater control cable connected to the temperature setting on the dash several times, and I am not sure what your point is. The heater control cable moves the lever on the heater valve, and the lever opens and closes the heater valve. What is worth noting is that the area along the firewall where the high pressure line would have run looks undisturbed and evenly dirty and not like a line was removed.
The pictures you posted would not convince me that an entire AC system was removed from the car. There are no good views of the left and right fenders and firewall where the high and low pressure lines would have been installed, or the front of the radiator, where the condenser would have been installed.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:35:20 -0700, firefly wrote:

set-72157604646818417/
Contact Toyota customer service. From your VIN they will tell you anything you care to know about the vehicle including the color of the eyes of its original owner.
franz fripplfrappl wrote:

As someone pointed out, the a.c.'s were often added at the U.S. docks. Do they update that kind of info. in the VIN database?
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 06:31:02 -0400, Bill Putney wrote:

I can't recall...

<snipped>
If the AC was added as a port installed option (PIO), then it is in the VIN database. If it was added at the dealership, it is not.