Whine coming from '93 440 Li

Hi all

I have a strange wine on my 93 440 li 1.6

though it was the alternator belt, but on inspention it seem to come from middle of cylinder head or from back of engine. the sound is more offten heard on damp mornings and usually goes away as i drive.

if any one has any ideas please post

-- Start your own home based business today :

vertuas

Well, it won't be in the right place, but water pumps whine before they die. As you drive, the road noise drowns out the whine, so it appears to go away. Certainly the electric pumps are prone to bearing failure, so I'd check that. In the 1.6, the water pump is under the alternator. If you use a large screwdriver as a stethoscope (sort of thing), press one end to the pump housing and one end to your ear you will be able to hear the bearing - the same trick works for the alternator bearing, rockers etc.

Just a thought,

David

Reply to
David Balfour

Will check water pump, the thought did cross my mind

the noise does disappear altogether (head under bonnet with car standind method of detection!) thought it may be starter not dropping out correctly, at one stage.

Reply to
vertuas

Hi, I have the same problem with a 440 1.8i. It does not seem to disappear due to engine noise during running, it obviously comes from a cold engine. There is a sqeeking noise at app. 2000 to 2400 rpm. It disappears after the car has run for app. 2 kilometers.

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter Hoeben