Whining OD relay?

My wife's 1993 240 has had some trouble with the overdrive light coming on. I took it out and resoldered the connections on the circuit board that looked possibly cracked and for a few weeks it was fine. It has just resumed this behavior again today.

Whenever the OD light is on, there is a whining noise coming from the dashboard that sounds like it is in the vicinity of the relay. Repairable (did I miss a cracked bit of solder?) or is it just time to chuck it and buy a new one?

Reply to
Tim McNamara

I've never seen one whine before, there's only about half a dozen components on the board though so I'd try resoldering some more, if that doesn't work you could replace the capacitors as that's about the only other likely failure.

Do check the wiring to the OD solenoid though, if the insulation rots out it'll short and burn out the relay.

Reply to
James Sweet

Worth trying, I suppose. No cost but a few minutes of time.

When I soldered up the board and reinstalled, the OD solenoid could be clearly heard to respond to the relay when pressing the switch. I don't have any way to get under there and look at the wiring, so I'll have to have that done elsewhere.

If the solenoid or the wiring is failing, would it produce the same symptom of turning on the OD light? My wife's mechanic wanted to replace both the solenoid and the relay (for several hundred dollars- I find him to be overpriced and not infrequently wrong).

Reply to
Tim McNamara

Bad solenoid or wiring won't turn the light on, but bad wiring can kill a good relay.

I'm sure the solenoids can fail, but I've never seen it happen. I bet

80% of the (expensive) solenoids that get replaced are perfectly good.
Reply to
James Sweet