Ignition switch 740

My ignition switch is sticking, when I start the car I have to wiggle the key in the ignition to get all the functions to work such ass radio windows windscreen wipe etc.

I also not that from time to time the seatbelt warning also does not work.

I have a problem with the cooling system which looks like it is only there when the seatbelt warning is not working.

What circuits could be affecting the cooling system from the ignition switch or the drivers seatbelt warning.

Reply to
Andy Mann

I'm thinking the problem isn't with the cooling system but perhaps the temperature guage itself not working right - unless you are getting actual overheating signs.

The only electrical tie I can think of is that there is an electrical auxiliary fan in front of the radiator. It usually isn't needed except in hot weather, while idling at a stop.

I recommend you replace the ignition switch soon. They tend to deteriorate from week to week, and sometime you may be stranded. It is a common failure. The switch electrical part is easily replaced and is under $100 US from aftermarket places like IPD

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

As a codicil to that Mike, one of my VOC members recently took his car to an auto electrician as he had a very similar fault with his ignition switch (as indeed I have). He was told that the printed circuit behind the instrument panel needed some dry solder joints attended to. So far it seems to have done the trick. I am a bit sceptical but time will tell.

All the best, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

It could be. The instrument cluster comes out easily enough to make it an inexpensive thing to do, and the circuit board is large enough and with heavy things like connectors that there could be cracked solder connections. Good on them if they hit on the answer.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee