woozy handling 245

I have a 240 turbo wagon, 1983 with 200K miles. It has new rear shocks, good, new tires all around, tie rod ends, alignment, wheelbearings tight. The worn suspension bushings have been replaced and there is no chassis rot, but the car is still kind of wandering and woozy when I go down the road. There are no real klunks in the steering and I have taken it back to my otherwise competent mechanic twice and he says all is well with the chassis and front end. The steering linkage u-joint things feel good.

Am I asking too much of a 20 year old car with 200K miles to ride straight and solid down the road? If no, what should I look at next?

Reply to
John Roden

You didn't mention front shocks. The original 240 turbo shock often failed in a wa that made the front suspension hard as a rock. It'll be obvious when changing the shocks, but front springs often break up near the top. Also I've seen lots of very poorly done alignments that make cars just feel like crap.

Reply to
Mike F

A good shop should be able to tell you if your steering is going out. It sounds like that to me - everything's vague and has play in it.

Q: does it track in a straight line, but respond to changes very poorly?

Another possible problem might be the bushings/bearings. If you can push on the side of the car and you hear a small "thack" sort of sound from the wheels(ie - excessive movement), there's your problem.

Lastly, you may look into a better swaybar while you are at it.

My 1975 164E with 270K on it and my 1990 240 with 230K on it both drove straight as an arrow, so yes it is possible with some undated parts.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Are the rear suspension bushings all in good shape? Unevenly worn torque rod bushings will make a 240 wander all over. The car should be an excellent ride with all the suspension in good shape, 20 years old or not, 240's are well designed and handle very nicely.

Reply to
James Sweet

The mechanic only replaced the worn bushings on the front and rear, I'm not sure which ones. It sure handles like it has worn bushings, I wish that he had just replaced all of the bushings like I asked, but he wanted to save me some money. I'm also going to look carefully for a busted spring.

Reply to
John Roden

Keep in mind also the situation in the thread with subject, "Poor quality bushings, or bad track rod?" Poor bushings can be worse than old quality bushings.

Reply to
Mike F

Try an alignment. 1/16 of an inch tow in. Tow out on a 240 will make it wander.

Reply to
Rod Gray

[ ... ]

Also check that your steering box isn't worn or loose--I had problems in one car that went from wandering to jumping every time it hit a bump; the mechanics swore the front end was tight. Then one of them turned the steering wheel shaft in the engine compartment and saw the steering gearbox twisting...

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

[ ... ]

In my experience a tow-in is usually $40-$50.

:-)

I think you're referring to toe-in.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Why would anyone only replace some of the bushings? The bushing kit is cheaper than the labor to install it, at least if you order it online rather than going to the dealer. I always replace all the bushings, with the occasional exception of the small ones at the front of the trailing arms as I've never seen them worn.

Reply to
James Sweet