YEAH BABY YEAH!!!!! I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!

Hoorah!!!!!!

After 4 long months of struggling with the Volvo --- I fixed the rough idle (stall) problem, that hurt the tranny and cause all of my problems!

I am SO happy, my car runs like a bat out of hell!

Here's what I did, and it was a series of things so I can't say for sure BUT!

After cleaning the AMM connectors, opening the air box valve to shut out exhaust and let in cool air, the thing I think did the most was this:

I removed the distributor from the motor (not completely, but enough to inspect it.) I cleaned the connector with throttle body cleaner, and went to re-seat the distributor. While bolting in the two bolts I heard a pop. I thought, hmmm, I must have seated the o-ring.

I bolted the 2 bolts and it wouldn't start. Crap! So I thought a while and then unbolted the distributor, and twisted it and VOILA - it seated. It was not sealing against the engine. I tightened the bolts, fired her up and she idled SO WELL, like at 1000-1200 RPM. I pumped the throttle and she ran, ran ran.

So, on the test drive she took off out the gate for the first time since I owned her. Shifted well, ran strong, like a new car!!!

I am so pumped.

The only thing I broke was while attempting to remove the connector from the bottom of the distributor, the connector came loose from the body. I applied gasket seal and held it with tie wraps. I'll need to attend to that later.

What do ya'll think???

Is a mis-seated distributor enough to cause a vacuum leak. There was oil leaking around the bottom of the distributor before.

:-)

Reply to
Jamie

Wow, great news Jamie

You have certainly gone stem to stern on that Volvo and now you do really have something that you should be proud of.

Glad to hear she runs like a top.

Lots of snaps when you get her all shined up, eh?

Reply to
KLB

Yes, well my laundry list is still a bit long:

Mainly, the car I think is idling too fast. It's at 1200-1500 RPM.

Besides that:

1) address rear main seal leak 2) find out why hot air is being pumped into the cabin 3) new shocks 4) install bushing kit I bought 5) get A/C going 6) wire up new lights from Daniel Stern to go in e-Codes
Reply to
Jamie

I think I found part of the idle problem, while adjust the kickdown cable to spec, the vertical gold rod with the 2 nuts you loosen to move the rod up and down causes a 'click'. I think that activates the idle, and when I adjusted this the RPMs dipped.

It's still at 1200 so I need to check the manual for spec RPMs.

Reply to
Jamie