00 Jetta: check engin light on + smog test

Dear vw folks,

I have a couple of questions regarding my 2000 jetta. Your comments will be greatly appreciated!

  1. brake light: I have my rear brake light gone, so I tried to get a new one from local kragen store to install it myself. However, they said 00 jetta is relatively a new model, so I have to go and get a new light from vw dealer. Is it true? If not, where can i get one?

  1. check engine light + smog test: I have check engine light on since several months ago, but I've been running it thousands miles without inspection. Since I am having a normal gas milage, I just assumed it is a sensor problem which I believed I don't need to pay attention to. However, the problem is smog test. I heard I can't go through smog test if i have an engine light on. Is there any way that I can temporarily turn the check engine light off? I know it is not the right way, but I really don't want to be bothered by that check engine light...

I truly appreciate your comments in advance. Have a nice day!

JK

Reply to
Jinkyu Yang

Try a different store. I believe others have found them.

A check engine light generally means a sensor has reported something not normal. One on as long as yours rules out things like a loose gas cap. That means you may have a bad sensor, or the sensor is finding something bad. Even a bad sensor often means it is causing the engine to not run properly. You engine may be using more fuel than needed, creating unneccessary pollution, or damaging itself. Even if you don't have a required smog test, you should always have the engine check engine light checked. BTW failure to do so could invlaidate parts of your warrantee if you still have one.

Take it in now to somewhere that can read the codes and tell you what they mean. Just reading the codes is only the first step. Figuring out what the results mean is an even more important step.

As far as not passing a smog test with the light on; in some states that is an automatic failure. However it all states is it likely the light indicates a problem that is going to fail you in any state.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan
1-Yes it's a dealer thing and should be about $20 2-in our state just turning out the MIL still will not let the car pass emission inspection.MIL on means you have a problem and it should be fixed. You maybe damaging your cat converter which may add about $800 to the repair bill! That's why VW put the MIL light on the car to tell you something in BROKE and should be fixed!
Reply to
Woodchuck

as far as the back lights - I went to Auto Zone and they carry compatible, replaced it - no prob! The check engine light - take to a place where they can read your codes so at least you know what it means. Maybe it needs just a reset.

Reply to
spiralingcrazies

I bought my brakelights from Kragen on my 2000 jetta (they both went out at the same time..wierd) there was a little referance book with numbers for your model and year

Unplug your battery for 20 mins or so right before u get it checked and take it easy on the way to the smog check you should be ok.

OR do what I did on my Mazda b2300 when i encountered the same delimma. Open up your gauge cluster and take out the lightbulb or cover the led. in electrical tape

Reply to
revolver

The Ostrich approach.

Reply to