FMX Transmission - How to Rebuild

1969 Mach1 with 351w, FMX and 3:00 gears in back (a/c if that matters). Car's original... numbers matching and no mods. Problem is I ran it a bit too hard over the holidays (cool florida weather - I couldn't help myself). Now the tranny is dripping at the linkage. Just a dozen or so drops a day. My experience with trannys is limited to adding fluid. Should I teach myself to rebuild the tranny or pay a shop. If I try it myself what do I need (kits, tools, etc.)? Any good manuals or websites on the subject? Should I instead take the car to a shop? If 'yes' how to I find a good one? I'm in the Fort Lauderdale area.
Reply to
Sean

If the tranny is working well and the only problem is the leak, its probably the seal where the linkage goes through the case. Its not a difficult repair, just remove the pan, remove the valve body and remove the linkage. Replace the seal and put it back together.

If you don't have experience with removing and replacing the valve body, take it to a shop. You can easily warp the valve body if you torque it back down correctly. The repair shouldn't cost enough to make it worth taking chances.

Reply to
Mustang_66

As for rebuilding the tranny the cost of specialized tools would not be worth it for the do it yourself'r. As for the seal it should be an easy R&R if it's accessible.

Reply to
Sauger

Thanks guys for the advise. I'm pretty sure it's just the seal (tranny works fine). Better safe than sorry... so I'll take it to a shop.

Reply to
Sean