0w40 oil

Okay, not interested in a theoretical analysis here. My question is this:

Has anyone with a high-mileage 8V engine actually used 0w40 oil over the winter, and if so, did you run into any problems?

The reason I'm not interested in theoretical analysis is because of the example of 5w30 oil compared to 10w30 oil. Theoretically, at operating tempertures, they should each have a viscosity equivalent to that of a 30w oil at 100 degrees C. However, on a well maintained engine, the oil pressure alarm will sound when using 5w30 but not when using 10w30.

Thanks!! -Dave

p.s. I live in Edmonton, and it can get very cold here over the winter. I plug in my car whenever possible. Currently I use a 5w50 and it works great for me.

Reply to
Dave McLaren

Well you do not have many choices in 0w-40 oil other than Mobil 1.

I used Mobil 1 0w-40 in 2 cars last winter and it is fine.

Your oil pressure alarm is shot. ???

Reply to
David

My son has a loose 92 8v with 135k miles. We put on a larger oil pump from a

2L. They bolt right up and have 36mm instead of 30mm gears. That solved our pressure problem. We use Shell rotella 5-40 synthetic in the blue bottle year around. It does not get as cold but may get hotter here and no oil alarms in almost 2 years.

Joe

Reply to
Joe R

Well, the only time I've personally had my oil alarm go off was when I had a problem with my cooling system and my car was getting a little on the hot side (but not actually overheating). Anyways, a combination of heavier oil and fixing the cooling system fixed my problem. A couple of VW exclusive mechanics I talked to had this issue. Anyways, that's kinda beside the point... if 0w40 will work well, I'll probably use it. Thanks! -Dave

message

Reply to
Dave McLaren

However, SAE 30 is a range. Some 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils are on the "thin" side of the SAE 30 range at 100 degrees C, and some are on the "thick" side of the range. You can look up viscosities at 100 degrees C on the oil companies' web sites to see which are on the "thin" side and which are on the "thick" side of their ranges.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Good point

Reply to
Dave McLaren

There is also the German oil Lubro Moly in 0w40. I use this in my Passat V6.

Reply to
4Motion