1987 GTI won't go into reverse

Hello all,

Once again, I need some advice. I just picked up a 1987 GTI and it won't go into Reverse. When you shift the stick into the reverse position, it goes into 1st. When you shift into the 1st gear position, it goes into 3rd. Does this sound like a linkage issue? Otherwise, there are no noises coming from the transmission, it stays in every gear and shifts very well.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
David Craig

[...]

Sorry it posted twice guys. I have an update.

I consented my Bentley manual and looked at the bushings and linkages for the shifter. I had someone shift it in what would be reverse on the stick and then I applied pressure on the shifting lever on the tranny that is closest to the firewall in a direction toward the driver's side of the vehicle. It clicked into place. I started the vehicle and it was in reverse. I suppose my next question is....(1) will new bushings and plastic linkages correct my problem?....and (2) How difficult are they to adjust once installed? Thanks again guys...you have been great in the past and I do appreciate your help.

Dave

Reply to
David Craig

"David Craig" wrote

When I first read your post I thought that perhaps one of your shifting linkages was broken there are two of them that are small rods that press on but apparently you got it into reverse.

Take a look at the main rubber bushing the main shifting rod goes through from the shifting box. It is like a 3/4 inch rod. The bushing for this is not replacable but you have to buy the metal flange it is on and then tranfer the shifting mechanism to it. Not a hard or long task. My guess is that the rubber bushing may have gone oval. Also there is like a ball in the shifting linkage. I would take a look at that too to see if it has become worn or damaged about the size of your thumb and has slots in it going around. I had one that was very worn and took one off a junkyard car and it greatly improved the shifting accuracy and feel. The main rubber bushing with flange I wrote about above is located on the power steering rack with 3

13mm fasteners, 2 in the back and 1 in the front. If the bushing/flange (dealer item about 30 dollars unless you pull a used one, not a good idea for a bushing because it will also have friction wear).

It also pays for anyone with an operating-well shifter to get under there and grease that rod where it goes in the rubber bushing (long rod from the shifter) once in a while to help it last longer.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

HARRY! I was hoping that you would take the time to respond. Yes, the rubber bushing is quite worn. The rubber bushing cannot be replaced by itself? I am glad that you told me. I did order just a few minutes ago off of e-bay, a shift linkage and bushing kit. I got it for $16.00. So I guess that I was correct in thinking that new bushings and such will correct my problem?

I will check the other parts you spoke of.

Please Let me know and I will get right on it.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
David Craig

HARRY! I was hoping that you would take the time to respond. Yes, the rubber bushing is quite worn. The rubber bushing cannot be replaced by itself? I am glad that you told me. I did order just a few minutes ago off of e-bay, a shift linkage and bushing kit. I got it for $16.00. So I guess that I was correct in thinking that new bushings and such will correct my problem?

I will check the other parts you spoke of.

Please Let me know and I will get right on it.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
David Craig

The bushing is riveted into a formed bracket. The bracket is actually part of the linkage assembly. If you buy a new bushing it comes pre-mounted in that 'bracket'. You just move things over to it and you are taking the assembly apart away with the kit. I called the dealer on this once and it was 28 dollars a couple of years ago for the bushing (premounted at the factory) in the metal housing. Unless there is a rebuild kit I an not aware of of which you would have to drill out the rivets, you have to buy the flange too ('bracket') that it is mounted to. That is the one that has the 3

13mm fasteners on - screwed to the power steering rack.

With the main bushing from the dealer or a very good one with very little wear found at the junk yard and the kit above you should be able to completely rebuild the linkage assembly.

When that main bushing goes oval you can completely lose the selectivity of the shifter and at best the shifting knob feels very loose as the shaft orbit left to right.. Sometimes you can temporarily fix it by moving the pinch connector in the front a couple of degrees in a certain direction.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

Harry,

Thanks, as always, for your help. You are truly the Guru of VWs. Do you think that the replacement of the bushings and bracket assembly will correct my inability to shift into Reverse?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
David Craig

"David Craig" wrote

Though unlikely as you managed to get it in reverse, unless it has an obstacle in the transmission like a speedometer gear that felt in that is jamming. Pulling out the speedometer cable wrongly can do this when the plastic gear drops off down into the transmission. People have had to dismantle whole transmissions because of this. You can temporarily (unless that is what you meant by getting it in reverse) disconnect the linkage on the transmission itself and move the levers by hand to see how if feels going into reverse directly on the transmission with no linkage interference. Take a look at that pivotal 'ball-like' part that rides in the linkage too to make sure it is functioning with its throw.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

Harry, I didn't disconnect anything to get the tranny into reverse. I simply gave it a lovingly nudge (the linkage that is closest to the driver....nudged it toward the driver's side of the car) while I had someone in the cab putting the stickshift into the reverse position. It was as simple as that. Do you think that this is a bushing issue? Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
David Craig

Harry, It seems to me that all of the linkages seem a bit sloppy. Not a lot......but enough for me to notice.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
David Craig

[...]

Yes if it is oval. What can happen is the shifting lever in the cab hits on the left side and there is no room for it to find the reverse track. In a case like this you can temporarily fix it (not saying it is definitely this as I would have to look at a number of things hypthetically) by loosening the pinch bolt and having someone in the cab move the shifting lever slightly to the right in neutral and then pinch it tight again giving another 1/2 to 3/4 inch clearance on the left so it can find the reverse track by the shifting lever in the car being able to go slightly more to the left.

That pinch bolt is on the end of the main shifting shaft.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

I think you'll be happy with the bushing and linkage kit. I put one on my tired old Rabbit and now it shifts like a brand new car, tight and smooth (I greased up the little ball-and-socket shifter linkage joints while I was in there -- probably was not necessary but I don't think it'll hurt, either). Chances are it will solve your problem.

If not, your motor mounts may be rotted out or sagging. The font, rear, and driver side mounts are easy to change and are around $10 each. I'm told that you do not have to support the engine (with a cherry picker or something) as long as you replace only one at a time, but can't verify that. I replaced all three at the same time as I had the tranny out anyway.

Reply to
tylernt

On an A2 they're more likely to be about $40-50 each. Possibly more for the front mount depending on the style used (there are several types).

This is pretty much true. I did all three in my A2 by doing one at a time but I did put a jack and a board under the oil pan to help out.

Reply to
Matt B.

You guys are great!

I purchased a shift bushing kit on E-Bay for $16.00, installed it .....and after some frustrating trial and error adjustments to get things right......she shifts like she was new.

Harry, just so you know, it is possible to replace the bushings enclosed in the metal housing that is riveted to the metal bracket. In the kit that I purchased, came the bushing. I simply had to drill out the rivets and install the bushing and re-rivet the metal housing. Much cheaper than buying the entire bracket. Knowing that you are in the business, this may save you bucks in the future. Harry, you havfe helped me so very much. You definitely know your VWs. Thanks for all of your help....and to everyone else for theirs.

Dave

Reply to
David Craig