Golf won't go into reverse!!!

hello, I'm new to this group and just wanted to find out something about my VW golf TD (P reg, 1996) which is bugging me; it does not seem to want to engage in reverse gear.

it is a normal manual car and i put it in where 'reverse' normally is (as i have done for the past 2 years of owning it) and it behaves as though it is in first and moves forwards when i press on the accelerator, any ideas what on earth may be going on? However hard i try to push down and to the left with the gear stick toget it into where reverse would normally be it still will not engage, although for some reason last night it randomly chose to go into reverse and then refused to do so again today.

is this going to be a big job? are we talking new gear box? is it me and am I doing something stupid with it? it is getting pretty annoying having to push it backwards out of parking spaces and off the driveway so would appreciate any helpful and sensible input

cheers Bookie

Reply to
bookie

Have your shifter relay shaft, and various bushings along your shift linkages inspected and replaced as necessary and your shifter re-adjusted. Should do the trick.

Reply to
Madesio

thanks

is this likely to be expensive?

Reply to
bookie

I personally bill 1.5 hours labor for the job. Parts around $50 or less.

Reply to
Madesio

$10-20 in parts. An hour of time or less. Well at least that was the estimate on the older cars.

Reply to
Jim Behning