1989 Jetta, Enging Stall under heavy rain

Hello,

Last night, I went for a drive under heavy raining, after driving through some really big puddles of water, the engine began to "knock" (is this the correct term?), then it stalled...

I tried to start it back up, but it wouldn't. Then, when it would, the idle would go crazily low, then it chokes, then stalls.

I do have that "Check battery" light coming up, but I guess that's just the alternator belt slipping. I didn't loose Power Steering, however.

After sitting in the rain watching all the cars driving by (10 minutes or so), the car would then just start up, rough, but it'll start. Then, I let it idle for a bit, then it idles normally. Then I drove back home.

Any reason why? Water getting into somewhere not supposed to.

David

Reply to
David Lo

Sounds like the alternator and the got wet distributor also.

Reply to
Jim

sounds like spark plug wires and possibly ign. coil. When was it last tuned? Were ignition components also checked with a spray bottle of water? Of course water may have been sucked into the air filter and possibly engine. I doubt it, but it is a possibility.

dave