1991 Passat Cooler Pulley

Does anyone have some advice on how to remove this pulley so I can remove the lower timing belt case. There is no bolt in the middle that you can use to hold the pulley in place while loosening the 3 hex bolts.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Reply to
Kevin Sundberg

Put a wrench on a different bolt and run it across the face of the pulley to another bolt. Then use a different wrench on the one you want to loosen.

Also, it's easier to remove the bolts when the belt is still on the pulley, if possible...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Hetzel

I've jammed an old screwdriver in one of the open holes on the pulley before to lock it if the belt can't hold it. That's not the best method but it seems to work (be careful in case it slips). I've seen a tool for this job at a local import shop but have never gotten around to actually buying it.

Reply to
John Rutledge

I've used the screwdriver method myself and it works great. Another thing I've learned is not to apply even pressure on the hex bolts when attempting to loosen them. It makes it easier to break the bolts loose if you insert the socket wrench into the bolt then hit the handle very sharply with your palm to loosen. I've avoided scraped knuckles and have saved alot of time doing it this way.

Ron

Reply to
Ron and Tina Reyes

I use this one generic-brand hex key (I think it came with something that required assembly) and slip a 17mm wrench on it for leverage. The hex key always looks like it is going to break but it never has. I swear I've had that thing for 25 years.

Reply to
John Rutledge

Jeebas,

Trying to get off the vibration pulley bolts is even tougher, I may have to use an extractoin tool if I end up stripping the hex bolts. Wish they would use metal that was a little tougher.

Thx for all the great ideas.

Reply to
Kevin Sundberg