1995 Jetta 2l Oil Sensors

My son's oil light comes on intermittently as he drives. The oil level is OK and the engine makes 20 PSI oil pressure at idle and regulates the pressure at about 60 PSI above 2500 RPM or so. This leads me to suspect one of the two sensors (the low pressure one near the oil filter or the high pressure one on the head).

They look pretty similarly constructed (except, of course, that one is NO while the other is NC). Does one tend to fail more often than the other?

Or...does the computer that monitors the oil pressure or the connections to it tend to fail?

(I hate intermittents! Just trying to improve the odds of guessing right the first time. ;-)

JRE

Reply to
JRE

Check the ground strap on the engine. Loosing the ground will also cause the light to come on.

and the engine makes 20 PSI oil pressure at idle and

suspect one of the two sensors (the low pressure

while the other is NC). Does one tend to fail more

tend to fail?

first time. ;-)

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer