1996 Jetta Tubing Routing

I changed the oil and inspected the air cleaner element, brake fluid, and removed and added some antifreeze from only the reservoir on my daughter's friend's 1996 Jetta, and the next day (and possibly immediately), she started getting a lightening bolt dash warning light indicating some sort of engine problem. I removed the air cleaner top, and looked at the air cleaner, so wonder if I put the two tubes back on correctly. I wasn't sure which went where, and they both fit. It would be a big relief to know that it doesn't matter which is on top. I think they are red and black. Anyway, if they are wrong, can you tell me which goes on top? Also, what other things could cause this "lightening bolt" warning? Thanks all. Comments to my email would be highly welcomed.

Reply to
Gordon

I now have two issues. The first is that I forgot to connect the electrical connection to the air cleaner, and I am uncertain of what the correct routing is of the two small 1/4" or so tubes leaving the air cleaner. Does the orange or red go on the top or does the black. One of these two items appears to have caused the engine malfunction lindicator light to come on. When the plug is back in the light stays on. How do I clear this light?

Reply to
Gordon

I now have two issues. The first is that I forgot to connect the electrical connection to the air cleaner, and I am uncertain of what the correct routing is of the two small 1/4" or so tubes leaving the air cleaner. Does the orange or red go on the top or does the black. One of these two items appears to have caused the engine malfunction lindicator light to come on. When the plug is back in the light stays on. How do I clear this light?

Reply to
Gordon

the light might clear by itself after some time when the ECU decides that everything is OK. they sometimes (for some triggers) stay lit for a certain period of time until the ECU thinks the problem is solved long-term. for example, a misfire usually triggers the light and then it goes out. A loose fuel cap will trigger the light but the light will stay on for a while after the cap is corrected, sometimes for many start-stop cycles and about

100 miles.
Reply to
Matt B.

They are usually color coded. The metal/plastic interconnectors are made out of copper for the red plastic tube and black for the other.

hope that helps.

Reply to
ion vaduva