1997 VW GOLF (first VIN -3)

Found one for 3k with 120k miles on it. But now after reading Edmunds.com customer reviews (Jetta and Golf) I don't think it is a good idea to buy VW at all. It is a vehicle that my GF would be using to go to school back and forth 15 miles one way.

When we went to look at it the check engine light was on and instead of giving me the key to start it the lady jumped in and pumped the gas and started it herself (she looked skeptical as to what her results would be) and it had an asbestos looking bag/wrap (with velcro) around the battery. The car was clean. And seemed to drive and handle well but I now don't have much confidence that we will get the 2 years out of it without a tranny problem or a complicated eletrical problem that I'm reading about.

The reviews for the Golf wern't as bad as they were for the Jetta . The first VIN number is a 3 . Can you all advise me as to where it was built and if I'm doing the right thing. I have a Camry (trouble free J-VIN) myself and think we should wait and find one of those or a Honda. Charles

Reply to
Charles Pisano

I believe this is your answer:

3VW = Mexico WVW = German

Reply to
Matthew Senn

The battery bag is stock on the 97 Golf. I'd want to know why the check engine light is on, though.

My brother has a 97 Golf (manual shift) and it's been great for 110,000 miles. That's only one data point among thousands and statistically doesn't mean much, though. The one you're looking at could be great, or it could be a giant lemon. If you're getting a bad feeling about the seller, I'd walk away.

Reply to
dag

Isn't the check engine light always on when you turn on the ignition but have not yet started the car?

Oh, wait. The check engine light was on when the key was not in the ignition? That IS strange.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

The battery bag is standard. Don't worry about that.

The "Check engine" light could be anything and getting the code for it is the only way to find out. If you do like the car anyway, tell the seller that you'll buy it if the check engine light is properly investigated and the cause repaired. Otherwise, keep looking for another Golf.

Don't worry about the VINs for crying out loud...they (and build location) have nothing to do with quality these days. Everything that fails these days have more to do with individual components and not the labor that screwed them togther in a vehicle.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
Rob Guenther