1998 New Beetle Cooling Question

Hi - I am purchasing a used 98 Beetle (against alot of advice I have read!). A question for you, I have read that the cooling fan relay or sensor(or whatever mechanism)goes out on these once in a while. If I test drive the car for 20 minutes in decne het (85deg F) should I see the fans coming on?

Is there an easier way to verify the cooling fan is operating? The beetle has no temp gauge.

thx

Reply to
cleoboat

Turn on the AC and they should come right on.

Cecil

Reply to
Detailing Dude