Paseo cooling fan

Our '93 Paseo 5 speed has two cooling fans. The problem is, the one near the battery runs constantly from startup (stone cold). The engine never warms up past 'C' on the temp gauge. When I disconnect the wiring terminal at the fan it warms up fine, just runs warmer than normal with a new 'stat. I can see a single loose wire with a bare end coming from the area of the temp sensor at the bottom of the radiator. It's to dark out to see now but I was wondering if this is the fault. I don't know Toyota's theory of how the cooling fans are supposed to operate but it is hard to imagine one fan would run from start up. If the loose wire is not the problem, where is the potentially defective relay located if it needs replacing? Thank you for any advice.

Reply to
Rhys Pieces

The good news is, the fan is doing what it's supposed to. When there is a fault, the fan will stay on all the time. Better to run a little cold, give up some fuel economy than blow a head gasket.

The not so good news is, that wire is proably the culprit. Hope it isn't too cold this weekend! If you're lucky, you may be able to splice it back together, and then tuck and/or tie wrap it to keep from snagging something again.

I always wanted to get one of these and istall the 4A-GE engine it should have had in the first place...

Reply to
Hachiroku

One fan operates to control coolant temperature, the second fan operates with the air conditioner. As Hachiroku suggests, fix the bare wire and you should be good to go.

Reply to
Ray O