2.0L ABA Swap problems

Hi Everyone;

I used to post here quite frequently but haven't been online in a long time. I am hoping that someone might be able to help me out.

I have a 1990 Jetta GLI with a 2.0L ABA swap. I am having some problems getting the car to run well when it is cold. As it sits right now, when I go to start the car, the only way that I can keep it running is with my foot on the accelerator. The car will not stay running on it's own. I have replaced the blue coolant temperature sensor and that did not help matters. One individual on VWVortex suggested that it might be the idle screw is screwed in too far and is starving the engine for fuel. As the car isn't currently near by, I cannot verify the position of the idle screw. I just want to get my car running...but, I seem to be having trouble achieving that goal!

I am wondering if anyone here might be able to shine some light on this issue. For what it's worth, the car is still running the original Digifant fuel injection system.

Thanks;

Peter

Reply to
pcressma

wrote

I have Digifant running on a 2.0L Audi motor the bubble block and it works perfectly for years and electricmotorish. That may be an older 2 liter but it is a fabulous engine for reliability and low torque.

Lots of things to check. I would check the harness contacts to the temperature sensor. The fuel injectors are either not getting the signal to run rich from the ECU or even, to stretch, may be clogged and not capable of spraying a richer mixture via deposit obstruction. Run some fuel injector cleaner. Also check the contacts of the main ECU plug and clean the contacts. Test the coolant temperature via Bentley resistance testing though I assume it is new. Another more *far fetched* could be the 'O' ring seals have deteriated that seal each fuel injector and allowing air in to make the whole engine run leaner. In the Audi 3A I replaced the 'O' ring seals when i did the swap. The old seals were pretty bad.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

Well, all of the seals at the injectors are new. The ECM was replaced with another unit as that was thought to be the issue.....still,I am having the same problem. Some other things that have been suggested to me are the MAF, ISV and the ECM....

Harry wrote:

Reply to
pcressma

Hey Peter, did you get kicked off of VWVortex already? :-)

Welcome back to RAMVW! Is this still the same inherent problem that you had with the GLI before you quit posting here? IIRC it is.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Naaa....not kicked off, but I wanted another group of people's perspective. This isn't the same problem that I was having before....since then I have swapped an ABA 2.0L with a Digifant head into this car. I made the fatal error of having the car towed to a shop that was supposed to have a good reputation in Guelph...but, it would seem that wasn't the case.

I went and had a look at the car today...and I am more than a little pi$$ed off.....the grille emblem is missing, the car has been left outside UNLOCKED and to top it all off, the car will no longer idle unless I keep my foot on the accelerator. The icing on the cake is that they have the nerve to try and charge me $1000 for what they did...

At this point, I'm just going to get the car out of there and have to deal with all of this myself....but it is extremely annoying that I have had to go through all of this...I guess everyone has one run in with a bad repair facility....

Reply to
pcressma

Too bad. Well, now that you are working for an Audi dealer, you can figure on getting something more in that line. :)

That is pretty insulting if you ask me. You sure know how to pick them. Where did you get the referral from, VWVortex? Did you check to make sure the intake hoses are all tightened from the air filter to the throttle-body? It sounds like someone forgot to hook something back up. This happens once in a while when you give your car to someone for repair.

Yep. However they will still want to get paid unless you can verify that the car now runs like s h i t. If they added new parts, then you should get the old parts that they replaced plus pay them the cost of the parts that they added. No labor costs since they screwed up. IMO.

Reply to
Peter Parker