2000 Jetta TDI

Hi

I'm thinking of getting a 2000 Jetta TDI 5 speed. Anything I should watch for? I've never owned a VW before.

Thanks

Danny

Reply to
Dan

I'm at 100k and still can't recommend them enough esp if you drive alot. Mass air flow sensors have been prone to failure, but once replaced they seem to run for a long time. I've also had MAF sensors go bad on other cars so not all that uncommon. Cost per mile to drive is insanely low, esp in a used car. I calc about 4 cents per mile (18.60 per tank, 485 miles, $20 oil change ($12 oil, $8 filter) every 3,000 miles.) not bad if you are writing off or reimbursed at ~.30 / mile.

Anything you need to know on TDI can be found at

they also have a list of cars for sale.

Reply to
Mike

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Get it, they are great cars. I have driven two Jetta's with 5 speeds, and 2 Golfs with automatics, one of which is my current car (they are all abused company cars, mine was the least abused (A couple dings, but some people drive company cars like sports cars... i'm one of them, so I am not concerned) that is why I bought it, and for cheap). Nothing seems to break on them, except MAF sensors, and that seems like a one time thing, the original ones are junk. The 5 speed shift action is a little sloppy, but hey, it's not a sports car. Tho 4 times in a row I have missed 5th gear and went into 3rd (its much farther over then in my old 1991 Golf), something I have never done in any other manual transmission car, and its happened once or twice before that one unfortunate day (didn't redline, but got very close). After an average of 75000 kms over the 4 cars, they are all holding up well, two have been sold (including mine, which I love driving) and two they are keeping, with a new Jetta wagon added to the fleet.

They get great fuel economy, they are peppy, and they will easily do any velocity you should ever care to drive them at on a North American highway (I haven't topped one out yet... but I think I got close at 195kph on a very open and clear section of highway, the car felt comfortable at that speed, but I sure as hell didn't want to drive it that fast for long, as it is not quite law abiding, it was purely an experiment). They have good stereos, they have good brakes, they have good suspensions, they have good illumination, the interiors look like a much more expensive car, they are quiet, they are one of the best looking sedans on the road IMHO, and.... They are VW!

What is stopping you ;-).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

You're wasting your money on oil changes... go synthetic, it will cost you a little more, but the gains in mileage and reduced wear and reduced number of changes will offset that.

--TW

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

Some things others have not touched on. How many miles? Was the timing belt and ideler changed? At some point they went from a 60k mile belt to a 80-k belt. I think they changed in 2002 though but don't know for sure. Dealer price for this should not be over $500 US. Newer belts fit older A4 cars. Next is intake clogging, have it looked at. Easy to check. If it runs out of steam at 3k rpm's in 3rd and 4th the maf is bad. There is a different brand that is under $100US that's much better. I've got a 99.5 jetta tdi at 109k and am being made to get a company car and my son is druling ouer "his" next jetta. It's averaged 48 mpg (US) for the entire 109k mi. The warranty on window regulators has been extended to 7 years unlimited miles so that's no longer a problem.

Joe R

Reply to
Joe R

Check service records. Timing belt change interval was 60000 miles or

96000 km (40000 miles or 64000 km with automatic transmission). The newer type timing belt and tensioner used in 2002 was given an 80000 mile / 128000 km change interval. Timing belt failure is likely to result in expensive engine damage.

Other service intervals are every 10000 miles or 16000 km, with an initial oil change at 5000 miles or 8000 km. Brake fluid should be changed every two years, regardless of mileage. Oil should be 5W-40 with diesel ratings (API CH-4 or CI-4 (manual says CF-4 or CG-4, which are older ratings no longer commonly seen; CF != CF-4), ACEA B3 or B4, or VW 505.00), such as Mobil Delvac 1, Shell Rotella T Synthetic, or the Castrol Syntec 5W-40 at the VW dealer (not the other grades of Castrol Syntec found elsewhere). Coolant should be pink or purple (not green, brown, blue, etc.) VW G12 coolant. Brake fluid should be DOT 4. Tires should be 195/65R15 91H with 44psi pressure rating (be careful, many tires of that size have only an 89 load rating at 35psi pressure rating).

can be a good place to ask questions.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee