2001 Jetta GLS

Greetings All,

My daughter was unable to take her Jetta with 49,000 out of Park and into gear also the "EPC" light stayed on. After a few minutes and restarting she was able to move the gear selector. The EPC light stayed on for a few minutes then went off and has not returned. I was told by my mechanic that no code was set and this might have been cause by parking against a tire bumper, which she doesn't think she did. The VW dealer service via a phone call said it may be the brake position switch going bad. Has any had this problem or experience in testing this switch?

Reply to
beekeeper

"mechanic that no code was set and this might have been cause by parking against a tire bumper" Translation, you mechanic is a moron and doesn't have a clue! The fix is replace the brake light switch. The EPC light is associated with correct operation of the brake light switch. I bet the next time you have the issue you will find the brake lights don't come on when you can't get it out of "P"!

Reply to
Woodchuck

I had the EPC light come on in my 2001 Jetta GLS as well. The only difference was mine was a 5-spd and not an auto. While the light, which stands for electronic power control, was on...my car would not go over

40mph and took a very long time to even get to that point. After several trips to the dealer, the problem was finally "fixed". It was due to a faulty engine sensor, for the life of me, I can't remember which sensor. I don't have the car anymore.

rich

Reply to
Rich

My daughter's car has similar problems: It has a hard time getting it to shift out of Park- it takes over 10 minutes warm-up time before the shift-stick could be moved. And now the MIL Check light stays on all the time. I wonder if this could be caused by a bad brake pedal switch too

Reply to
Rufus

My "new" Jetta has the MFI trip computer, but a couple of functions are not working properly. The oil temp readout displays thre dashes ---, and the avg fuel mileage is way too low. I am getting ~30mpg calculating it myself, but the MFI is displaying 11-12mpg, even after I reset it. I figure the oil temp is either the sender or the wiring, but what could cause the mpg to be 2/3 too low? It would make more sense to me if it didn't work at all...

Kevin Rhodes Westbrook, Maine

90 Jetta GLI
Reply to
Kevin Rhodes

Reply to
Randolph

There's now a campaign(recall) on Jetta brake light switches. Call your dealer or wait for letter in the mail.

Reply to
Woodchuck