2001 Jetta Wolfsburg: wheel corrosion

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who owns a 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition. The car was purchased new in July, 2001. The warranty expired in July, 2003.

A few months ago my friend noticed that there were numerous spots of corrosion on the polished outer portion of all four BBS alloy wheels. She brought this to the attention of her dealer, who acknowledged that there was a problem. The dealer took the position that because the car was out of warranty, the best they would do for her was split the cost of fixing the problem. My friend's share would be $250CDN. This amount suggests to me that the dealer would refinish, rather than replace, the wheels. My friend has taken the offer under advisement.

My friend would appreciate finding out whether anyone else with a Jetta Wolfsburg Edition had a problem with wheel corrosion, and if so, how was the problem resolved?

Jay Goldstein Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Reply to
Jay Goldstein

There's a few threads on this on

Common problemwith the BBS alloys on the Wolfsburg Edition Jettas.

Reply to
Matt B.

Really sux, don't it? VW is not alone on this issue as other cars/trucks/etc that use BBS wheels with the other edge clearcoated all seem to end up looking like that after a few years. And it's not just BBS rims! The problem is the clear cracks or gets chipped off and water and salt get under the coating and corrosion starts. BTW, my 88 S10 Blazer has American made rims with clearcoat and it also happened after a few years.

Reply to
Woodchuck