Anyone own a 2003 Wolfsburg Jetta?

I'm really thinking about purchasing a 2003 Wolfsburg Jetta. (5 spd) I need passing power, good suspension, and collision safety. (I'm on the road 1000 mi/ wk) Is this the car for me? Horror stories about electrical systems and transmissions are holding me back.

{2nd choice is a Honda Civic - which has no "go"!}

Any/all input would be much appreciated (especially regarding 2003 Wolfsburg Jettas)

camo

Reply to
camocarmen

The Wolfsburg has all three. It's 5-star rated and I can attest from personal experience that VW builds a *solid* car.

My GTi has the same tranny and has never had a problem. As far as the electrical and window regulator problems go, if the car you're looking at went in under the factory recall than both issues should have been adressed. The coil-pack problem got a 100% fix and it seems that most Jetta owners didn't have more than one window regulator go bad. If I remember correctly though, the Wolfsburgs still had the 150Hp 1.8T which may or may not meet your power needs. I'd reccomend trying to find a low-mileage 02' GLi VR6. You'll get the 6-speed and the 200Hp motor, and there would still be 3 +/- years left on the factory warranty.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

If I remember correctly though, the

I'm considering one still on the dealers' lot. It has the 1.8T (180 hp - I think). I've driven it; the turbo whistling made my heart sing. It has all the upgrade options (power sunroof, wheels, etc). I was leery of why it would still be on the lot but sounds like maybe it had been recalled. They're asking $17,500 with 500 miles on the odometer. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks for responding! Camo

Reply to
camocarmen

Then it's the samer version that's in my GTi - I love it!

VERY. Considering the Jetta's popularity among younger buyers (who generally seem to covet the GLi and Wolfsburg variants over the others) I'm surprised the car hasn't sold. Seems like a case of desperation to me, my local dealer let go of a W8 wagon with 18 miles on it for $34,500 just to get it off the lot.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

At 1000 miles/wk, did you figure the difference in fuel costs between the Civic and Jetta 1.8T (requires Premium)? .... you'll be surprised. Consider a chipped Tdi.

Reply to
Saintor

My boss has one (he's a speed freak) and absolutely loves it. His only problem is that the ESP system light has come on - very rarely, and the dealer can't find the problem, we think it's just a bad sensor that is giving funny readings in certain conditions - has not affected how the car drives tho.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

lol, the ESP light comes on when it detects slippage. must be losing traction or something. if he turns it off, he can burn rubber till a tire blows lol

Reply to
StyxNStones®