2001 New Beetle TDI and auto transmission?

Wife has trouble shifting the 5spd stick in the 2001 TDI and wants an automatic transmission. One reseller slammed it for quality problems. What is your experience with the automatic transmisssion?

Reply to
John Bartley K7AAY

In VW's? I know that some of the older ones had issues with the seal between gearbox and final drive, fluids would mix and you wouldn't know until it went boom. not good.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I thought I read that they painted the inside of the case. The paint would flake off and mess everything up. I do not know if that is true or not.

What problem is she having? My wife has no choice. I have not owned a vehicle with an automatic since 1978. She knew how to drive a clutch when I met her. She is not so keen on driving the little John Deere which doesn't weigh any more than the car or truck. ;-(

Reply to
Jim Behning

From a service point of view, there have been a few unlucky cases where automatics failed and led to very expensive replacements. However, I must say with regular maintenance and inspection, they should last the life of the car. I highly recommend purchasing an extended warranty service contract (plenty of companies to choose from just google). In the event the inevitable ever happened, they'd cover the cost of the repair.

Reply to